Chet Baker

Yes both are excellent I eventually managed to get a copy of Silence on vinyl not an original but a later reissue I love Enrico’s playing too and the recent Craft reissue of Chet Baker in New York is very, very good, great choices @IvdZ .

1 Like

Hi @Bobthebuilder - I am just listening to LP1 in Paris with D(not allowed to type his name?) Twardzick
The pressing sounds good with little surface noise - enjoyable

Thanks for the interesting write up !

I am currently downsizing my record collection, but would find it pretty difficult to part with my Chet Baker LPs, along with some other favourites

1 Like

No musical comments but wondered if this was of interest.

N

3 Likes

I’m A Fool To Want You

2 Likes

Taken from Chet Baker in New York - Polkadots & Moonbeams

1 Like

I’d like to buy some Chet on vinyl, what would you guys recommend which has great pressing quality? I like most of his material I have streamed but really enjoy albums he sings on.

The Tone Poet Chet Baker Sings is great though it looks as if it goes for silly money now £80+ on Discogs, The Craft Riverside Reissue of Chet Baker Sings It Could Happen To You is also very good I just bought the RSD Mono cut from Amazon at £30 which is excellent it’s £30.66 with free postage not cheap I know but top quality.

1 Like

Baby Breeze is also very good if you can find a decent copy I just paid a little over £30 for a Japanese reissue from 1987 inc postage and VAT from Japan.

1 Like

Thanks BB. I’ll try and track one or two down.

Chet - irreplaceable
Perhaps the modern day version ?!

1 Like

Very talented player thanks for the introduction Ian I’ll check him out some more.

Elvis Costello ft Chet Baker - Shipbuilding

Unmistakably Chet and Unmistakably Elvis Costello but working beautifully together below is an interview with Elvis discussing Chet .

1 Like
1 Like

Chet Baker - Here’s That Rainy Day.

As Elvis Costello rightly says in the above interview given the chance and framed in a sympathetic way Chet was able to deliver some incredible performances right at the end of his life as he did here with the NDR Big Band. Part of this concert released at the time as The Last Great Concert has recently been reissued so buy a copy it’s well worth the cost like many Chet recordings it’s not the greatest sonically but that’s not the point.

2 Likes

Somewhere Over The Rainbow taken from Chet Is Back recorded at RCA studios, Rome 1962.

I have a nice ORG reissue of this remastered by Bernie Grundman and Chris Bellman pressed at Pallas Germany it’s a nice copy even though it’s bright red.

Also reissued as The Italian Sessions by RCA in 1978.

1 Like

Darn That Dream taken from The Heart of the Ballad another beautiful recording with Enrico Pieranunzi’s Space Jazz Trio an LP I’d dearly love to own along with Little Girl Blue but both are very rare and very expensive now .

1 Like

One of my favourite recordings. His version of My Funny Valentine is heart breaking and surpasses all other versions I have heard.

Hans

2 Likes

You Don’t Know What love Is Taken from Chet Baker Sings and Plays with Bud Skank and Russ Freeman

2 Likes

Probably not very easy to find this one nowadays, but worth the hunt - luv it !
Recorded in 1985

Chet Baker (t)
Michael Graillier (p)
Massimo Moriconi (b)

1 Like

It’s on my list Ian but copies go for silly money even the CD copies according to Discogs went for £30 and £40 the Chet Baker Estate rereleased the CD in 2017 but it’s sold out even on Discogs.

The 2 x vinyl copy I’d really love to own below starts at £110 on Discogs hopefully someone will reissue it soon and make a nice job of it.

1 Like