Choice of wireless bridge and cable

Curious mounting!
What vibrates that made you mount it that way?

This unit will work for Mike’s setup. I’m intrigued by your wall mount setup, is it physical vibration of the unit that you are solving?

Well I’ve already started to take my next quick step so apologies if we cross posted but that’s an impressive read and I will take it on board once I’ve read it a few times and broken it down. Thank you.

1 Like

The original RE650 unit includes a built-in 5V SMPS and gets its 230V by plugging directly into the wall.
In its OEM configuration it sounds excellent, besting 2 different mesh units and even sounding superior to a high quality ethernet cable, which I found surprising.
As I stated in my original post, I followed a strategy of ensuring that each subsequent network component had, as much as possible, a superior specification to the preceding units. For the RE650 this meant that vibration control and power supply needed to be upgraded.
So where does the vibration come from? 3 sources:

1. On-board power supply transformer.
  2. On board AC to DC rectification
  3. The wall
    So 1 & 2 are looked after by replacing the on-board PS with a hybrid DC3/4 5V LPS……while 3 is taken care of by suspending the unit with 4 nitrile o-rings under minimal tension, thereby isolating the unit from the wall while maintaining the intended antennae orientation.

All this may seem ludicrous for a £100 network module but if you think about it, all that bridge is doing is modulating the 5V DC from the PS, using the digital part of the signal from the radio receiver as its template. The more accurately that modulation is performed, the better the quality of the data stream arriving at the next network module, so the better its output and so on

So how have you ascertained the specific difference it made doing all that?

That aside, and putting aside that I now have my small next step, what’s the difference between that device and say a TL-WA850RE?

I’d say if you want networking equipment that’s designed to perform to more exacting environmental tolerances then you’re best looking at enterprise or industrial versions of these products. They’re usually built from the start to a much higher specification and with more robust and expensive components. Doing all the tinkering to a product designed for a domestic setting to a constrained price point is a bit like putting a nice set of alloys on a Nissan Micra, it’ll look a little better and probably be a bit nicer to drive but it’s only ever going to give you marginal gains.
The kit I get from work (Ruckus) is designed to work in very demanding environments like hospitals, sports stadiums, oil rigs and so forth. Some products cost as much as a HiCap DR but they perform to a level far in excess of anything you can buy in Argos.
I’d suggest if anyone is serious about optimising a home LAN to look at these much higher quality starting points, Cisco, Ruckus even Ubiquiti will give you a far better foundation to build out from and be a more meaningful financial investment than linear power supplies or other tweaks.
It’s worth mentioning of course that none of this kit is built specifically with audio in mind, the effects and in some cases benefits are also mostly subjective, improvements in the underlying Wi-Fi standards do benefit consumers across multiple use cases including audio streaming in particular far better spectrum management and wider channels as well as new spectrum in the 6 GHz band.
Even the most recent Naim hardware supports at best an 802.11ac connection on either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands however even with clients based on older generations of Wi-Fi like 802.11ac or 802.11n, an infrastructure based on 802.11ax (WI-Fi 6) still gives overall gains and improvements that all clients benefit from like robust MU-MIMO and basic service set colouring to better handle channel concurrency and interference as examples.
I’ll stop now, it’s getting late :shushing_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I totally accept that. My intent with this move is to remove very obvious noise from proximity. There will still be noise and longer term I think PhoenixNET is likely my solution there.

Hi Mike,
Firstly what’s the difference between the RE650 and the TL-WA850RE?
Here’s a list of the differences that I noticed

1. 5GHz band
  2. Far faster transmission (300Mbps vs. 1733Mbps)
  3. Greater range and sensitivity (2 internal vs 4 external antennae)
  4. Gigabit ethernet port
  5. 8.2.11 ac standard
  6. 4x4 MU-MIMO
  7. Access control

The RE650 was chosen mainly for the way it sounded, after it was compared to a variety of other products and networking methods. I’ve looked at the professional networking stuff but for the most part improvements relate to robustness for working in challenging environments and not to the areas most critical for audio like power supplies, oscillator stability and precision, isolation transformer quality, removal of LEDs, resonance/vibration control etc.

So on to the development of my networking which was done empirically. I started with a simple ISP modem/router connected via wi-fi to the RE650, which was in turn connected via an AQVox SE switch and ethernet cable to the Innuos Zenith MkIISE. The system sounded wonderful, with nothing I didn’t like other than a small hump in the bass I attributed to a room node. Being an audiophile I’d read that the USB output could be improved with a USB reclocker/regenerator so I ordered one along with a dedicated power supply. The unit arrived but even after 400 hours of running-in it was a clear downgrade in terms of overall system sound quality. The unit was outperformed by a simple Chord ‘C’ cable and massively outperformed by a Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref USB cable. Investigation into why revealed that plugging its SMPS into my dedicated mains immediately reduced the systems’s magic, regardless of whether the reclocker was in circuit or not.
This revelation immediately placed a question mark over the AQVoxSE’s wall wart power supply, so I ordered a Sean Jacobs DC2. The installation was a real eye opener as the sound quality took such a significant leap forward, with increases in everything valued by a music lover and audiophile….so much so that I immediately returned the DC2 and replaced it with a DC3 with Mundorf capacitor upgrade. This again brought another major performance uplift and it became clear that the network stream quality had a major influence on the music. I then decided to look into the modem/router and tried a number of different alternatives before settling on the TPLink Archer AC5400. Being tri-band I could assign an entire band to audio, which brought another uplift in clarity and pureness. The router looked a little odd just sitting on the carpet and I had a spare Atacama base, so I set that up under the router. It looked much better, but surprisingly also brought a small SQ improvement. Both modem and router were powered by small, cheap SMPS ‘bricks’ so I ordered a dual rail DC3 to see if that made any difference and I was again shocked at the performance increase that gave, so much so that I decided to modify the RE650 by removing its inbuilt PS and adding anti-vibration measures.
The SQ I was now achieving was better than anything I remembered from shows and dealer demos and the initial small bass emphasis I thought was a room node had completely disappeared, so I continued to focus on the network feed. At this point I discovered Mundorf Silver/Gold JSSG360 DC cables and these things made a major difference, especially in terms of purity and holographic imaging, so I added two for the AQVoxSE and RE650 and two more for the router and modem. They take ages to run in but the improvements they bring are not subtle.
By now I had 4 DC3s in the system when Sean Jacobs released his cost-no-object DC4, so the opportunity arose to upgrade all the power supplies with DC4 regulators, Statement-class transformers, DC4 EMI casework-screening, Isoacoustics Orea footers and Mundorf Silver/Gold cabling throughout.
I had been reading some rave reviews about cascaded switches, so my next step was to add a Melco S100/PF Ultra OCXO and an Innuos PhoenixNET with dual rail DC4 and full Mundorf silver/gold wiring. The system was now performing to a point that it was uncomfortable listening to it with the lights on due to the huge disparity between the spaces the eyes see and those that the ears hear. Start a track and the entire acoustic space is immediately transformed into whatever is on the recording be it intimate, large or infinite. 3 dimensional musicians fill the space, which is completely immersive. I have one track where you can hear a brass band playing in the distance and it genuinely feels like its coming from a fair that may still be a mile away. Speed and PR&T are incredible and listener involvement is IMO SOTA generated via the feelings and emotions inherent in the music. At least in my system, fully sorting the network feed has brought astoundingly good results. I have 3 more upgrades planned….SR Galileo SX USB between server and amp and Ethernet between PhoenixNET and Innuos Statement, DC4 ARC6 capacitor module upgrades to all PSs and perhaps SR Blue, Orange and Purple fuses starting with the modem PS and gradually improving as you move through the system.

1 Like

Can’t ask for a better response than that. Excellent read too. Thank you.

1 Like

Interesting discussion. I, too have the Vonets VAP11G-300 wifi bridge. It’s connected to my HDX and powered by the HDX USB port. It is used for setup and control of the HDX only (not for transmitting music - I use the HDX analog connections to my NAC252/NAP250). I compared this to an ethernet connection before settling on this configuration and could hear no difference. The VAP-11g-300 doesn’t appear to be injecting any noise into the system on its own. Don’t know how it would work to transmit a wifi music signal to a receiver-equipped amp/speakers.

Just a quick update. Took a little time out this morning to power down the DAC; unplug DAC and Vonets bridge. Moved the latter to the other side of living room albeit still sharing a socket periodically. Ran 5m of ethernet from left to right across the front of the fireplace and plugged the DAC into its own socket for the first time.

Speakers continue to hiss nicely when you’re close up (impedance mismatch) but the extraneous and obvious warbling noise from within the bridge (caused I think by their perpetual flashing lights) has, as hoped/expected, gone.

Hard to judge what’s causing what at present but my system rarely sounds this good during the day. I suspect there’s as much impact from the DAC having a 5 minute power down and then discovering it finally has its own socket.

So, thanks to all. Will see how this develops over the next few days but, having loved this lots over the past year I only love it more right now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.