Chord Hugo 2 straight to Nap?

Can this be done, what cable to use?

On my second system I’m using h2 into 112x/hicap/150x. Am wondering if I can cut out the pre step and go straight to Nap. If possible I would likely offload all of the gear and put towards a nap250dr…more waf points with less boxes with a potential uplift in sound quality? Or maybe not?

Cheers

Rob D

I do this with Chord Dave into 250DR, and it sounds great to me. I was less impressed when I tried it with a 1st gen. Hugo, though. Not sure how the H2 would compare. Easy enough to try but you would need to get a suitable cable.

1 Like

I use a Hugo TT > NAP140 in a nearfield listening system, superb.

2 Likes

Yes it can but it sounds unrefined from my experience.

G

2 Likes

Yes, I am running a 2Go+Hugo2 into a Nap300 while I wait for a 372…
The nice people at flashback have the cable you need

2 Likes

So I’m currently having fun A/B ing. H2 straight to 150x or 122x/Hicap/150x. Its a tough call as to what I prefer. I’m sure the H2 straight has a touch more detail but in a surgical way and lacks some of that foot tapping boogie factor…I will need more time listening. So anyone have any go to test tracks that will put the setup through its paces.

I’m also tempted to try the hicap on my SN2/NDX2/1028be primary system, but that’s another conversation.

It can be done, the cable to use depends on amp.
However don’t recommend it… it does not sound particularly great, certainly not commensurate with the quality of the devices… a kind of negative synergy as it were. I would say you are better off using a non Naim amp if you want to do this in my experience.
But give it a go and make your own mind up, and perhaps use as a stepping stone.
Hugo 2 into a proper NAC(Ie 282, 252, 552) and then into the NAP is a completely different ball game… especially with the last two… and you will get more from both the Hugo2 and the NAP.

However you will likely find the cables are less sensitive if driving the NAP directly, because of the NAP lower input impedance (NAP250 = 18 k ohm the NACs typically have input impedance of 47 k ohm).
This month’s release of AES papers includes a research article exploring and describing precisely this phenomenon

1 Like

So through testing I’ve concluded nac+nap = best result. Interestingly the H2 direct is very clean at low levels, in fact I would give it the edge. However this changed when the volume was turned up on a little bit of ac/dc. That balance gets out of kilter and isn’t easy on the ear. At louder volumes with Nac in the chain the balance is constant.

I’m not going crazy with this system, it is my second, Ive also got a slightly larger project on the go…and we move into the new build end of Sep. looking forward to it. However being out in the wilds north of Brisbane with the forest background buzz it’s going to be interesting to see how quiet the listening spaces are…we’ve sound proofed some rooms and have dedicated power rings going in. Exciting times. Maybe in the future I will get a proper Nac and Nap :wink:

1 Like

Intriguing! Is it that loud? In most of England the problem is background sound of road traffic, very difficult indeed to get away from, and unpleasant sitting in the garden though unless close to a road it may not be audible indoors with windows shut to keep music in. Where I live at present the only sound most of the time outside on a nice day is birds, bees and leaves rustling, with just the occasional car audible, or ‘baa’ or ‘moo’ from not far distant fields - traffic and its noise is one thing I do not look forward to if I move back to England after returement…

Hey IB

I’m originally from England, I moved out with my Australian wife 10 years ago. The buzz is loud, it’s cicadas, frogs, crickets, birds and is always there. It gets louder at night when the frogs really start singing and all the marsupial night life wakes up from their daylight slumber. It is glorious, truely glorious.

1 Like

Thread drift warning: sound quality of the environment!

1 Like

Really?
I suspect for those in urban areas and towns -or right by a major road possibly yes - but I would say that is definitely not most of England - but possibly affects a significant proportion of the population?
This time of year in the dusk it is crickets… and later into the evening are the owls - its wonderful… and yes one shouldn’t forget at this time of year the whirring of the night time combines from coming afar and bleeting of sheep that can be heard over long distances.

It is in the cold air that sound travels the most - and so a distant train on rail joints or a plane 5 or 10 miles away can be heard softly in the distance - but less so in summer. I suffer from Hyperacusis when stressed and am very aware of this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.