Chord Hugo - Also Disappointing (Mobile setup)

Happy holidays chuck, I plan to talk to my dealer and try the AQ, note my other issue is the device has a rattle, I thought faulty, both the dealer and Chord said oh no that’s normal must rattle :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Cant find my Apple photo adapter, but thought why not try via a laptop…

Are you aware that there are two USB inputs (Hope so) one only does up to 44.1 KHz, the other is up to 384 KHz? I believe the red colour in the window is 44, and the light blue is 384 khz.

Yes i mentioned at the start i am using the HD USB, nearer to the on/off switch, plus once i installed the windows driver it is running the HD USB.

The result no difference, actually i think my Cyrus Soundkey closes the gap.

Capture

1 Like

Question i played direct through the Tidal Windows software.

Installed JRiver also same result.
I do not get beyond the orange 48K light.

@NO-QUARTER what setting do you use from a laptop or mobile in terms of volume?
Source max or i read 25%, then use the Hugo volume control?

Listening at work today still not impressed, to me it is a cerebral type of improvement.
But keen to ensure i get it right, before pulling the plug.

Ok so wanting to be thorough i have spent an hour tweaking the laptop settings, found a very good guide and also the volume leveling, also download some DSD and 24bit of the same track, again slightly better but nothing to shout about. I even tweaked the JRiver settings and used some Qobuz 24bit tracks, again not allot better than my Cyrus Soundkey

I have made up my mind and stick with the subject but add VERY DISAPPOINTING or WOW A CYRUS SOUNDKEY BEATS THE HUGO.

1 Like

You’ll upset a few with that comment. But after my Mojo experience I have a feeling your right.

I gave up years ago saving face on big expensive box upgrades which delivered very little, but then would big them up as WOW.

If it’s a spade, call it a spade, but we are all different, maybe i lack GOLDEN EARS.

I’m confused, as your post gives the impression you are controlling volume from the laptop, but I didn’t think Hugo 1 could be controlled remotely. Is that a hidden feature that some software can exploit, or have I misunderstood?

If you now have it connected to a laptop, have you used anything to block the RF interference? Because it hasn’t got galvanic isolation on the USB input, precisely because it was designed to run from a device like an iPhone which can’t provide the necessary power, Hugo needs good external isolation - otherwise the inevitable RF from a computer cause very noticeable deterioration in sound quality.

It is supposed to work fine with an iPhone using the camera connector as Chord recommend, though as I said in an earlier post I never tried mine that way. No idea about Android devices.

I’m not sure why you think anyone would get upset, other than someone from Chord?

The issue is one of three things:
Incompatability with the source (use of a laptop to compare may not be valid without RF blocking).
Fault with the Hugo.
The OP simply doesn’t like the sound signature - not everyone does, though many do.

I did not use my Hugo with my laptop, but I do know that you are supposed to install specific drivers on the laptop when using the Hugo that way, Chord provides them. With my IPad, like I said, I used the Camera connection kit adapter, and did not touch the iPad volume, only used the Hugo volume wheel. Like IB said, you just might not care for the sound, or it could also be a faulty unit. The first Hugo I had would not play anything above 44.1 kHz, basically the HD port was not working at all, Chord replaced it with a new unit, and all was good after that.

1 Like

I just googled Chord Hugo to refresh my memory, the Chord website has all the info you need. It clearly states that when using a Windows laptop, that you must install the drivers that they provide on a USB stick, do you have that stick?

2 Likes

Different people like different things – and that’s good! Imagine we all liked the same sound. One Hifi manufacturer had a quasi monopoly, and we would pay even more for our hobby… :sweat_smile:

I only heard the Hugo Mk 1 once, and I thought it was rather enjoyable. That was in the context of Naim’s Classic series. Hugo 2 I liked even more, and bought it… To my eyes, Hugo 2 is designed rather well, and it wouldn’t mind looking at a TT2 and MScaler on my rack… But I couldn’t live with the design of Chord separates. Awful, testosterone-driven industrial design… But again, different people like different looks…

3 Likes

He’s already installed the drivers, he mentioned it further up.

1 Like

Hmmm. From there website no mention of not designed to work with a computer

Whether you have your music on a smartphone, tablet or laptop, or regularly use a CD player, Hugo’s advanced technology will transform the sound of the music you love. It can be used both on-the-go with up to three pairs of headphones, and at home in your audio system, thanks to its line-level output feature.

1 Like

As @CrystalGipsy has mention I already did all that and then more.

So for me the pimped out mobile or laptop = nothing better than a Cyrus Soundkey.

The unit is not faulty I got tracks as mentioned as high end DSD.

So either the Cyrus Soundkey is the bargain of the century or the Hugo is a joke. It is not about being different it just does very little beyond the Cyrus Soundkey.

I intended to try the Hugo with my Innuos and Nova, but have no SPDIF, but remember a few toslinks in the Hugo box.

To clarify I choose to install the latest windows driver from the Chord website.

I guess the Hugo just does not impress you like it does for some people. No big deal, sell it or return it, and move on.

1 Like