Chord Hugo - Also Disappointing (Mobile setup)

Hello Jan

You are correct. The confusion is there are two Chord companies–one makes dacs etc and the other makes cables.

Obsydian, why not just buy Sony WM1 ? one elegant portable device, one box, and one of the best.

image image

2 Likes

I like to travel light :skier:

2 Likes

Indeed, they are actually different names, but often get abbreviated hence the confusion…

The Chord Company Ltd;- Cables
Chord Electronics Ltd;- DACs and Amps.

Sp2000? Tidal Qobuz great sound

1 Like

Hmm £3000 :scream:

I am starting to think these headphone dac/amps are snake oil maybe just bumping the gain.

I am in the Sony Camp and have with that a great combination which really let’s the music sing. But I did have a listen to the Hugo in the past and thought it was quite capable, while not completely having the signature I am looking for. So I am puzzled why you are at least not half way satisfied. Obviously you also need to accept that a great source also requires great headphones / earphones to show what they are capable off. It still could then be that you don’t like the signature and want something else, but that still doesn’t mean it disqualified the Hugo as a great source.

Besides the Sony the Astell & Kern SP2000 is also a fantastic source…

both SP1000 and Sony Z1 sounds very good with special headphones. Makes you wonder if all these stereo stuff with uber expensive interconnects, speaker cables etc is a snake oil… SP1000 will make any Naim streamer run for its money as well…
With a budget of only a NAP300 you will get a very but very good sounding headphone setup…
so where is the snake oil :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bert, does your Sony have a Wifi, can you stream Tidal or Qobuz?

1 Like

No I have the Sony NW-WM1Z and it’s designed around optimal performance without interference of WiFi…, it does however support USB mode enabling you to improve the sound of an Ipone, Computer etc…, those could then be the sources of the kinds of Tidal and Qobuz. For me it works perfectly with almost 800 gb storage on board (internal + micro so).

1 Like

Response from Cyrus was same as the Naim line, we will stand at the sidelines and see …

“Thank you for your email, there are no plans at the moment to provide MQA for Cyrus products”.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.