Chrome Bumper - Worth renovating?

If you think you can make use of a second system then I’d go for it.

Otherwise, there’s not much point right now but maybe in future.

If you’re going to sell them, do it as is - you won’t recoup the service costs.

2 Likes

Absolutely worth a good service. :slightly_smiling_face:

I had a 35-year-old NAC22/NAP120 done by Darran. Well worth it.

1 Like

I would sell them,it´s not the best CB´s even if serviced.Buy for example a Nac 32 /Nap 110,that is miles better.

Have you thought about this from the perspective of perhaps finding a power supply for the 62 and really making the combination sing? I don’t know the 62 but I had a 42/110 for a fair while and I wish I’d appreciated back then just how much better things get when a pre-amp has its own supply. I don’t think anyone outside Naim fully understood back then quite what a step up in performance it is; though God knows they tried to tell us! It takes things out of the “integrated” class into “serious” hi fi. Even a SNAPS will do it (if the 62 allows that) so you don’t have to be hugely out of pocket either.

I’m not sure why you are afraid to switch on the NAP90 but the first thing I would do is find out how the combo sounds now. Sure, it’s definitely had a long enough life to be in need of a recap but you might like the slightly more pipe ‘n’ slippers presentation of older caps. I used an even older NAP120 in a non-critical system for almost a decade and because it never put a foot wrong I look back on that system with immense fondness. I wasn’t setting any high bars for ultimate performance and it just delivered (unexpectedly, I should add) the perfect ownership experience. It got way beyond any question of value for money.

I wouldn’t put a £250 barrier in front of turning it on and seeing what it can do, and I wouldn’t sell it without doing so - especially as it’s now essentially for free.

1 Like

The Nap 120 is a much better power amp than the Nap 90.

The Nap 90 is just a uprated Nait power amp.

1 Like

The NAP110 replaced the 120 - and the 140 replaced in 110.

Yes,but I think that the Nap 120 is funkier than the other two, which are also very very good.

1 Like

The NAP120 is also now getting very old… :thinking:

But if you have one - and its been serviced - go with it…!!

My first NAP was a NAP110 (with a NCA42) - which was traded vs ‘my’ NAP250 (in 1985) which I still have and use.

I bought a 72 & 140 on eBay for nostalgic reasons - and as ‘spares’… (yeah, right…)

[the 72 earned its keep by letting me try 323 E boards, for very little money]

2 Likes

Love my CB NAC42/110/Hicap bedroom system. It sends me to sleep every night and wakes me up every day via the Bluesound Node app.

The Hicap was a very nice upgrade.

Get em serviced and back in service! They’ll sound (and look) amazing!

1 Like

I thought you had a SNAPS

Nope

CB 42/110 - HiCap Upgrade - Hi-Fi Corner - Naim Audio - Community

Interesting, as my experience with adding a HICAP to my 42-5/110 was quite different: I couldn’t hear any difference at all. By then, I had already decided to upgrade to a 72/HICAP/250 and my dealer suggested I add the HICAP (which the dealer had in stock) to my existing amplifier while I waited for the 72 and the 250 to arrive. I kept the HICAP anyway because I knew my new 250 would be arriving only a few weeks later.

1 Like

Just to be clear I didn’t try out a power supply on the 42/110 back then - but wish I had as I can’t say I really got on with it. I just mentioned this as it was my experience later and it’s something I feel is almost imperative now.

Your experience is interesting, and probably more in line with those times. The 42/110 were one package, and if you could afford a 32/250 then you had to have a power supply but probably most people bought it reluctantly and would have rather kept the money if they could have. :slight_smile: I’ve yet to hear what a 42/110 is like in an A/B with/without a power supply but what really surprises me about these early amps is just how damn good they are on other inputs, not just phono. I’d probably give it its own power supply anyway.

Better to go for a Nac 32, it was the top pre at the time ,much more sophisticated than the Nac 42 or the Nac 62.
A Nac 12 is also better than the Nac 42 or 62.

I know. The 32 is possibly my favourite amp of all time. I’ve had a few, even one in a NAC12 style case. Funnily enough, when I had a 12S alongside the 32 it didn’t come off nearly as well as I had expected. I thought they would be pretty much touch-and-go as to which was better (which is how I remembered it from the '80s) and maybe the 12 would come out ahead as a bit of a sleeper. But it wasn’t to be. Probably it wasn’t a good 12, or maybe had a fault - which I didn’t think of at the time and is probably the best explanation.

1 Like

Simple answer is yes.
I’ve just got back my bolt down 250 back from Salisbury after a full refurb and sounds sublime :+1:

I love that your avatar was shown on this thread after your reply and I was thinking, dude, chrome bumpers on a vw van definitely worth refurbing :joy:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.