Chromecast built in

ChrisSU
I believe I read that it’s ‘better’ to use Chromecast to stream Apple Music as it allows for streams at higher resolution -24/96 - I think, than Airplay (might be 24/48).
Not a problem if you’re streaming say, 16/44.1.
It might have been a while ago and things might have changed.
I asked the Q because it’s available and some users may not be subscribed to Tidal/Qobuz.

In theory Chromecast can support 24/192 but let’s face it, if you have a Naim system and want to get the best from it you’ll want a Qobuz hi-res subscription that runs natively on the streamer (or Roon), and is properly buffered etc.
If Naim are ever able to implement proper native support for Apple Music perhaps it could become a worthy competitor, but I’m not sure if that will happen.

1 Like

I think the problem is that Apple don’t want companies like Naim to be able to do it, so Naim can’t do anything unless and until Apple change their mind.

1 Like

I use Chromecast for BBC Sounds app a lot as I actual like the app interface plus all access to old shows and podcasts. My ears probably not good enough but I can hear no difference to using the vTuner. (and it sounds just fine for casual listening) Bear in mind, I am not in UK so bitrate on vTuner may be lower than it is in the UK.
Yes - would be nice if Apple would let ANYBODY stream to directly to device! I’ll stick to Tidal Connect!

I believe the better quality HLS streams offered by the BBC are only available in the UK, so yes, you are at a disadvantage using Naim iRadio outside the UK. Even so this is all lossy stuff which doesn’t show what a Naim streamer is really capable of. It’s a real shame that the BBC seem to have abandoned their long history of audio innovation, but I guess it’s a sign of the times.

1 Like

I think you are totally correct - Fortunately between my own rips and Tidal I do have enough material to show the true quality of my streamer.

No flac, no stream metadata. No jazz, no blues.
But they do spend £240 grand a year for a three day a week diversity czar.
As you say sign of the times.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.