Chromecast "UPDATING"

Mike, hopefully now Naim is aware of the issue they will be taking steps, but testing a unit in store will at least give you confirmation.

To give you an update: I had another conversation with my dealer after I read Richardā€™s comment and it was agreed to have the unit replaced. It arrived today and I can say that now everything is working as it should. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Excellent, I wish I was in the UK, letā€™s see how many weeks it will take here. It already took a month to receive the faulty one.

I received new Nova last Friday.
Works fine with Chromecast.
I have added to my Google Home / Assistant configuration hence I can now voice control it.
I have also added the Nova in multiroom groups (google) with other Naim speakers. Works fine.
Great, thank you.

3 Likes

And by the way, on a very positive note, I just enjoy the Nova, the sound quality is just amazing (to me). I did not stop listening to all sort of music (HIFI quality streaming through Chromecast) over the week-end and what a difference with the Bluesound Powernode 2iā€¦

2 Likes

So glad itā€™s all sorted and youā€™re back to what really counts - enjoying the music!

1 Like

I swapped my unit for a new one today and Chromecast works fine now. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Just an update on this - I had an Atom delivered in February as documented above with the same ā€˜UPDATINGā€™ problem. Combination of living in Japan, Not really using Chromecast and with the UK in the throes of Lockdown - i.e. I could be without the Atom for quite a while, I elected against returning it.

Yesterday morning, it magically appeared in my list of available Chromecast devices, along with my 555 and QB.

I did call Naim support to report this and it was not unexpected (they were actually quite pleased to hear from me), I believe they have a list of people who didnā€™t return products with incorrect authentication re their Google Token, that they have remotely sorted.

So, if anybody else had this problem, worth checking to see if its working now.

2 Likes

Good to know.
A feedback from my side, Chromecast works very well with my Naim Nova, itā€™s flawless. Never had one issue.

90% of the time I use voice commands (Google Home) to control the Naim (ok Google Play xxx on the Nova) and 10% of the time direct Chromecast from a smart phone app.

I never ever use the Naim app. Yesterday, just by curiosity I wanted to check the software version of my Nova, I opened the Naim app andā€¦the app could not find my Nova device (discovery)ā€¦whilst Chromecast/Google Home was working fine.
In other words seems to me that Chromecast/Google Home is more reliable than the Naim app.
I even did not bother to reboot the Nova which would probably have fixed that issue.

1 Like

From which apps do you cast? Casting from Qobuz doesnā€™t work very well. Everything up to 24/48 is fine, but higher res causes dropout galoreā€¦ casting is quite slow also, from starting a stream to skipping songs. I am very unimpressed with Casting so far. The Naim app on the other hand is fast, never had dropouts, etc.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
From Deezer, they have Hi Def (HQ) and HI-FI music tracks (FLAC format (16-bit, 1,411 Kbps)) the HIFI library is growing very fast.
Spotify has also a premium package and can be equally chromecasted.

The only reason why we (the whole family) use Google Home (which needs Chromecast) is simply because itā€™s simpler and faster than using an app (finding phone, opening the app, browsing the library, etc).

1 Like

Hi @FrancisR, For Spotify, I think you will find Spotify Connect to be a little better. Playback certainly starts quicker and to me, even though it is just 320k at present does sound better that way, although there is no reason why it should as it operating on the same principle.

Thanks @TokyoNick but I am in fact satisfied with Deezer and the Google Voice recognition works fine with Deezer and as said earlier they have quite a good hifi catalog.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.