Cinema Movie Review

John Wick Chapter 4 - why, oh, why did I bother to watch this drivel. Somehow, I hoped it might be different to 2 & 3. It is, it’s worse. Long scenes built on CGI and JW is even more indestructible than before. One for the GameBox/PlayStation generation I suppose.

1 Like

Thx for saving me a couple of hours of my life!

Saw The Flash, a film I found enjoyable (in parts) irritating (in parts) and with some stand out special effects. I thought four stars was about right

Films like The Avengers set the standard as far as effects go and this was comfortably exceeded (at least in the first section)

OK. Not an easy one this. Defo. ‘quirky’ and non mainstream but a bit too much Wes Anderson.

It’s colourful of course and there are some chuckles. Scarlett Johansson is just oh so beautiful throughout and it does hold you.

On the one hand I was glad it’s only an hour and a half, it’s slightly hard work and the faux grain just gets irritating quite quickly for instance.

But when I came out, I figured I’d watch it again when it’s available to stream.

One for the big cinema screen ?

Um, I think it will get a similar reaction on either.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1

If this is your type of hokum, and the last few films definitely are for me, then you’ll LOVE this.

The strongest recommendation I can give is that having sat through 2.5 hours if they played part 2 I would have stayed!

M

7 Likes

Oklahoma

On at my local Odeon this was the Hugh Jackman breakthrough role where he demonstrates what a great set of pipes he has.

This is my favourite filmed version, directed by the inimitable Trevor Nunn.

Three and a half hours of great song, excellent dancing, great cast and a good plot.

As much as I enjoy the DVD it is better to see this on a REALLY big screen.

M

1 Like

Went to see Oppenheimer in glorious iMax 70mm at the Science Museum today.
Good enough reason for the ‘debut’ of my T shirt!

Really enjoyed it even though it is 3 hours long. Cillian Murphy was very good and portrayed the troubled scientist well. Cinematography was very good and many of Nolan’s trademark skills were on show. The post war anti-communist atmosphere in hte USA was shown as a big influence on the actions of the main characters but, for me, the roles of some of these cahracters was not clearly expained and so following the flashbacks was difficult. Well worth seeing, particularly on the iMax screen.

I’m a physicist by background and found the science was portrayed well. If you didn’t have some grasp of the science, or the chief scientists of the day, I suspect the film would lose something. Great character study though and well worth seeing.

6 Likes

My son is a Christopher Nolan fan and said Oppenheimer was meant for IMAX. So we saw it at Rushden Lakes today.

He was absolutely right, it was a very absorbing cinematic experience.

I had to concentrate a bit as the story jumped back and forth in time, though that’s normal for me.

I’ll be seeing Oppenheimer at the BFI IMAX on Tuesday. Haven’t been since the renovation last year so looking forward to seeing what they’ve done with the place.

Making it a double bill as I’ll be seeing the latest Mission Impossible film shortly after.

3 Likes

Oppenheimer. Similarly to the recent posts, we thoroughly enjoyed watching this in all its glory on the big screen. It is undoubtedly excellent, but a tiny bit frustrating due to the indulgent loooong running time and the structure of the twin non linear time lines enveloping a vast cast, many of whom aren’t that clearly defined - a little patience testing, but it does tie up beautifully in the last act. The countdown to the first test and the way it’s depicted is one of the finest film sequences I’ve seen in recent years - tremendous. And if Cillian Murphy doesn’t win ‘all the gongs’ for his performance, then there is no justice.

My first cinema visit since before lockdown and it was absolutely wonderful to be back in front of a big screen.

2 Likes

Just back from seeing ‘Past Lives’ at the cinema and it is every bit as good as all those 5 star reviews say it is. A wonderful story of love and loss - as Kevin Maher in the Times said - ‘You can never go home’. Fabulous, restrained performances with no melodrama. I would be v surprised if lead actor, Greta Lee, and writer/director, Celine Song, don’t walk away with Oscars. Take a hanky with you

3 Likes

Saw this recently in Leicester Square as I’d heard very good things. Can’t say I was as enthusiastic as some of the reviews were but I still enjoyed it.

What I will say though is visually, it looked incredible. Considering it was made on a relatively low budget, it made other modern blockbusters, cough Marvel, Fast&Furious cough look like garbage.

Anyone familiar with the directors previous work, Rogue One and Godzilla will know he has an eye for scale and this was the case here.

Shout out to Denzel’s son John David Washington for another good performance. Sounds scarily like his old man too!

1 Like

Had the pleasure of watching Das Rheingold on the big screen, totally brilliant and utterly bonkers

Watching concerts and operas on the big screen may not match London but there are no trains and you get home before midnight :clock12:

1 Like

@TheKevster

Hi Kev, not sure if you are aware but BFI Southbank starting a full Powell & Pressburger retrospective from today for next couple of weeks. Includes new 35mm prints of The Red Shoes and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp plus a a restored version of I Know Where I’m Going!

4 Likes

As ever with the Graun it’s a shallow piece, but yes, Chris, I’m excited about all this P&P activity - and that new book looks absolutely spectacular. Hoping to buy it this week.

I’m very happy that our national film body is acknowledging our greatest film-makers in this way.

3 Likes

I hope the new prints find there way to media.

… can their stricken pilots and posh ballerinas speak to our divided era?
A sentence that drips with judgement and division!

M

2 Likes

It’s the Grauniad - they are required by law to make stupid statements like that!

3 Likes

I went to see the newly restored IKWIG! at the BFI last night - simply brilliant. A great film anyway but the restoration is just fab. They’re showing it quite a few times in October so highly recommended

2 Likes