Cinema Movie Review

Absolutely. Streaming has just killed family viewing.

Admittedly I occasionally binge watch certain things but I miss the ‘must watch X at 9pm every Thursday’ or whatever.

1 Like

Just back from the new Bond film. Our first outing to the Cinema in about two years.

They certainly threw the book at it and every trick they had, a bit of an assault on the senses. Nice nods to the past.

Presumably the last Bond film I shall see, unless I missed something.

Far too profitable a franchise for this to be the last Bond movie!

This is true, Still confused though…

I think that film was all about Daniel Craig rather than James Bond

Ok, I thought it was James Bond.

I think he just stepped into a fridge at the crucial moment. It worked for Indiana Jones.

You should have waited right to the VERY end of the (very) long credits. It said “James Bond will return”. Definitely not the last one.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that. How?

“It was all a dream”

1 Like

I shall go again next weekend, and see if you are, hopefully, correct. :grinning:

2 Likes

All I will say is that a family member is a weapons officer in the Royal Navy , I am thinking of calling him Blofeld …

As you say there were some very nice nods to the past .

I thought it was the best Bond outing in a while

PS I have been told the same, that Bond will return comes up at the end of the credits.
PPS The new 007 comes into the room asked by M " what will be your work name ? " Answer ‘’ same as the last one - Bond, James Bond’’

1 Like

My “problem” is that we have had 60 years of different actors playing the same character.

It looks like that will change.

Also it felt like the decks were being cleared for something different as other key characters ,and a major organisation, cannot continue.
It feels like the end of an era.

1 Like

I saw Dune and liked it but for me a big part of the book is the text where the charactors are thinking and the DL version had that (BTW I really liked that when it was released, might look a bit old now though). I also thought some pretty important bits of the plot were missed out like the animosity between the Baron and his nephew. I will see part 2 but only has I have seen part 1 now !

I liked the Bond movie as well, amazed to see some of the long term people “taken care of” (trying not to do a spoiler for people that have not seen it) and can only think any new films will be done earlier in JB’s life and start doing fill in bits, in the mode of some of the new star wars films ?

1 Like

Yes. I have been suggesting to friends that it might be an MIB situation, that the new agent would have to divest their true identity whilst they are 007 & Bond’s name is deliberately retained as he was so good at foiling HMG’s enemies.

1 Like

‘…charactors are thinking and the DL version…’

Yes, that insight into a characters thoughts and motivations is superb in the book, but I found it distracting and clunky in a film. This script was deliberately limited in scope but I felt it got over the information that a new viewer needed without great chunks of exposition; a difficult task.

As you note they have an interesting challenge for Part 2. The Imperial family & Spacing Guild being two of those missing parts. I wonder how much detail they will bother going into. As they are thinking of also doing Dune Messiah there are threads that they could choose to build upon going forward and allow people to accumulate the knowledge organically.

2 Likes

I think you may be right.

But the new agent won’t be James Bond, for the first time ever. I think they have made a major mistake for going forward.

Maybe, they want to re-make the Fleming originals ?

If so I would steer well clear of Goldfinger and FRWL -for me the strongest films in the franchise

2 Likes

What! Holmes and Watson is exactly what we dont get enough of. A very silly adult film. Watsons telegram to his new love had me in fits.

Just back from seeing Jane Campion’s latest ‘The Power of the Dog’ at the cinema. It’s a western/psychological thriller with outstanding performances from Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst. A truly great film that I imagine will be an Oscar contender. Made by Netflix so available on TV from 26th November but I prefer to see my films on the big screen

1 Like