Cisco 2960 Set Up

Hi Simon, I have an ethernet junction box (together with modem and router) located in the store room away from the av room. Current setup routing is router to junction box and a switch at av room end connecting to the various av equipment. Would introducing a switch on the router side (prior to connecting the junction box) provides potential uplift in SQ?

The other use of a switch on router side is that I could fully utilise all 8 ports in the junction box. At the moment, I am limited to 5 due to the router. I am using mesh for wifi so I am “OK” for the moment.

I don’t have a spare switch (to experiment) and would like to minimise the number of boxes and cables in the store room ;). However, if an additional switch can potentially provide an uplift in SQ, I’ll make room for it…hahaha :joy:

Thanks.

Hi… I am not sure what you mean bu junction box… with Ethernet you have either network hub (very rare now) or network switch. Are you referring to a switch?

Hi Simon, network hub?

patch panel :slight_smile:

got it…

would it be beneficial (SQ wise) to add a switch between the router and the patch panel? Thanks.

i doubt it - you may detect a minute sonic shift - but as far as SQ i think unlikely.

thanks, Simon. Much appreciated.

Same as the one I use. I prefer to think they are well burned in :wink:

1 Like

Cisco 2960 connected in the network and NDX2 turned ON, more sculpted sound, it has emphasized the typical Naim sound. Soundstage is clearer and instrument separation gives a more olographic image. I need now to listen my system for a couple of week than come back to the previous configuration and check again if it really worth the change. However I also need more RJ45 ports to connect my home devices so I think Cisco switch will remain.

As already wrote, I purchased a refurbished switch Cisco 2960C-8TC-L but after few days with it I discovered it is another model 2960C-8TC-S.

I just informed the seller and I’m waiting for a reply about a replacement or a partial refund. Is the L version better than S for our “audiophile” use or can I live also with the S version just in case they proposed for a partial refund?

The S level is more capable than L level. So S is better than L in that sense. You would expect to pay more for a S level if new.
As far as SQ benefits for your connected streamer, both I would expect to be identical

1 Like

Both models were available in refurbished status ma S model was cheaper than L version. On Cisco web site they seems similar but L seems an higher level while you are saying the opposite. I’ll wait for the seller reply (Tonitrus).

I wouldn’t mess with the 8TC-L or S and consider getting a PD variety 8TT-L and/or 8PT-L if you want to do POE. I did quite a bit of testing of Ciscos and found these switches to be better for noise reduction/SQ.

Is the current streaming board in the NDX2/ND555 upgradeable to support WiFi 6 / 802.11ax? With the launch of new WiFi 6E routers opening up the 6 GHz band, will there be an opportunity for even better SQ over wireless?

Sure… you asked the question, and I gave you the answer… it’s actually to do with software build each can support. The L model supports layer 2 only, whilst the S level support layer 2 and some layer 3 (IP ) functions. Perhaps the L offered was newer or in better cosmetic condition so he charged more… but from a switch perspective the S level is better.

1 Like

I very much doubt it… this is not only about software, but hardware with supporting software. Until recently it was illegal to transmit on 6GHz band (5.925 GHz -6.425 GHz) licence free in the UK, and still is I believe in much of the world… so I would have thought if the 6 GHz wifi or RLAN is to be used by Naim in existing products it would need a new wifi module and new microwave antenna system… and would need to be territory controlled.

Remember also 6GHz really comes into its own low power out of doors… within buildings it is possible it will perform less well in terms of coverage as the 5GHz ISM band due to its higher frequency. So really would be ideal for a low power mesh system with many access points distributed around a building with possible wired backhaul. Higher frequency means greater absorption in walls and less refraction.

One reason why there is great interest in the new to be used 5G bandwidth from some of the old DVB spectrum… this relatively low frequency for new mobile protocols bandwidth will provide greater building penetration. Lower frequency is better for in building coverage.

1 Like

The white model is better for the SQ? Thanks

you mean the white model is better for the SQ?

No… they are all about the same.
The only difference i heard was to to use a PD version, which uses PoE (power over Ethernet), which means it is powered by an uplink device.

So the PD version sounds better then?