Cisco 2960 Set Up

Hava an option for Cisco WS-C2960CPD-8TT-L - is it ok?

Yes it’s fine. How are you going to power it? Have you got an upstream PoE power source (such as a PC switch) or injector?
Without that unless you have a 48 volt DC power supply, it won’t work.

It has its DC power supply

This one

Is it ok?

Or it’s better to take the old classic model?

You will have to see… it doesn’t look like an official Cisco powersupply… so no way of knowing of how well it is from a noise perspective… you will need to give it a go… however having a local powersupply feeding the PD switch could slightly undermine the benefit of using a PD device.
Nothing ventured nothing gained……

Ok thanks

The old self powered model will be simpler, but the PD version gives future tweaking options in the future…
I suspect if you have no prior experience, you might be better off with the mains self powered one… but the PD one with that separate powersupply should also work of course.

At the end of day, this is going to be much about your preference, local environment and connected streamer equipment as anything else… so be prepared for some trial and error.

The models I listed don’t have onboard power supplies and are newer and in my system I found to be more quiet than the old blue models or newer white models with onboard PS. I’m also using POE which I find to be more quite as well.

can you explain how you do the POE on them? what is the power source and how they are connected?

Found some Cisco injectors in my closet, but will really appreciate if you can give exact models that match each other - Power source (model) - and the Switch model that it works with etc so that I can try them in my system.
As I understand there are many compatibility issues (voltage, etc) and its a real waste of time going trough all these web pages in order to understand what is the best combination

PoE is quite straightforward and simple if using standardised PoE as opposed to proprietary power implementations.
Standardised PoE and PoE + is 802.3af and 802.3at respectively. These are 48 volts and power level are negotiated by the protocol with
PoE and PoE + providing upto 12.95W and 25.5 W.
The small 2960 PD devices are typically 11 W so can be powered by an 802.3af injector.
But do check on the switch model if a recent device and look for the Cisco tech spec to see power… other than that you are good to go with a regular PoE (802.3af) injector.

Remember with the 2960 PD devices, you connect the powered Ethernet lead into uplink port only… ie the seperate port on the right hand side.

It’s not too difficult. In my lay person’s terms you need to have a switch that can send POE and a switch that can receive it.

I use a 2960CPD-8PT-L to send POE and the 2960CPD-8TT-L to receive it. So the 8PT is plugged into the wall with external SMPS and the 8TT runs off POE so is not plugged into the wall and is the last ring with the streamer and NAS.

The first switch (8PT) sending POE is below the NAS in this pic and the last switch (8TT) is the switch pictured. You can use any of the ports on the first switch (8PT) to connect to the second switch (8TT) but you have to use the POE ports on the far right of the 8TT to utilize POE. Both switches are unconfigured/factory default. You can use either switch independently with external SMPS so you don’t have to buy both at the same time. Both of my switches were new/unused that I got second hand for about $80USD each shipped from the big online second hand site.

Here’s the Cisco spec page if you want to compare catalysts.

1 Like

Thanks it’s clear now

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.