Cisco Catalyst 2960 before Uptone etherRegen (or eR by itself)?

I think the very same post indicates that running ER at a lower temperature enhances SQ, hence the radical heat sink.

Fins, yes too. ( ailettes in french)

Every solution seems to bring another ‘problem’ that needs solving. :rofl:

Now I have moved the eR closer to the streamer with a far shorter cable connecting them, the eR runs much cooler. I wonder if it is the shorter cable from the B port that has helped the thermal performance of the eR. I have to add however that, even though the eR had plenty of air around it when it was on a rack in the cupboard, the new position sees it on a window cill in the open. Maybe this is the difference.

That makes sense Nigel. Most window sills (unless above a working radiator) tend to have a small downward air flow due to the air cooling next to the window surface so maybe this is why it feels cooler in its new position.

The cill the eR is on is in fact above a radiator, so maybe it is the combination of a more open position and a shorter Ethernet cable between its port B and the streamer.

Does it sound any better?

It seems to be improving but am now listening to less familiar stuff so tricky to do A/B comparisons.

It is now approaching a black box level of improvement, so I think there is some burn in going on. I am now really noticing a lowering of the noise floor.

I’ll stop there to avoid the ‘switch trolls’ giving me a kicking!

2 Likes

Probably the smallest black box you have bought so far…yes it really does, literally burn in👍

1 Like

Wow, this little eR is getting better and better.

Although I am generally loving the uplift in SQ, the one criticism I have is that on the occasional track the music come over as a tad ‘etched’. I am thinking that there is either more burn in to come, or this etching is something that a good quality linear power supply might resolve.

Maybe those of you who have made the move from the stock SMPS to third party LPS on the eR could comment if this does in fact address the slight ‘etchiness’ I refer to.

Hi FR; m’y ER is on its way. Is this set up for real? Does it really work and where can we find it?

Sticking fins on the eR is not recommended by the designer/manufacturer. The case is the ‘radiator’ so will feel warm/hot - it is designed that way.

The more air you can put around the eR, the cooler it operates.

Understood Nigel. It does make sense. Cheers.

Chag, out of interest what Ethernet cable do you intend to to plug into the B port on the eR to connect to your streamer?

I have found the eR to be very sensitive to this particular cable and it is worth experimenting if you have some optional Ethernet cables to hand. BTW, I found the CatSnake 6a works very well between the eR and the streamer, and the good news, this cable is not expensive.

Nigel I would say that the addition of my Paul Hynes SR4T linear supply (fed with a Powerline Lite mains lead) did bring an overall more musical sound with acoustic instruments really sounding as if the player was in the room. It did all the other things too, better soundstage a truly wonderful sense of silence when there was a pause in the music. There is certainly no hint of etchiness that you describe. Others who have made the move to linear supplies will no doubt chip in with their experiences too. Oh and be patient things do improve with time from new and the addition of a linear supply is expensive icing on the cake!

2 Likes

If you tap on google: Etheregen heatsink, then google images, you will find some links in the AS forum.
I don’t remember where I ordered mine.
But I see someone bought on: Conradheatsink ( point com)

The designer himself wrote that you can place a piece of metal under the ER, to have some heatsink effect and isolation from vibrations. But it’s not absolutely necessary he said too.

Hi Nigel, I already have a 1.5m BJC Belden Cat6A planned to link the ER B port to the ND555. Where did you get you Catsnakes?

Merci FR. Alex just referred to the Audiophile Style forum for that matter. I am thinking using inexpensive conical spikes.
As you can imagine next step will be to hook an LPS. I am considering MCRU Option 2 as I am thinking hooking an unused Power Line. Any thought.

1 Like

I can’t say how big or not is the difference between option 2 and 3.
I understand that you will not use the MCRU 075 power cord.
Can’t you connect it elsewhere, like on the router?
Because there are some other upgrades in the option 3, vs the 2, which can have a significant effect ( SR orange fuse, silver dc cable…).