Cisco Catalyst 2960 before Uptone etherRegen (or eR by itself)?

I can’t honestly say I’ve ever noticed a difference in sound from different switch ports, although you have nothing to lose by trying (except, perhaps, your sanity!) So maybe try Simon’s suggestion of moving it and the cables around, or using different ones (I notice one of yours is shielded, maybe try unshielded too?)
As I understand it, and I’m sure Simon will correct me if I’m wrong, network cables can act as an antenna, picking up any RFI from the environment, so moving them around can change that.

1 Like

I wonder why you have ordered the Cisco, as you have a better sounding switch already ( EE).
If you have a lot of traffic, components to connect ( many pc…), the Cisco can be worthwhile.
But for sound quality, from my experience, better keep the EE or ER alone, directly from a router. Or cascade with same switch ( 2X ER, 2XEE).

4 Likes

I had picked up that the Cisco performed a useful function that was not present on the EE (which I like a lot).
Now it’s here I may as well see how it goes. It was not expensive.

And does it help?
Perhaps too soon to tell…

I think I jumped in with both feet a bit too early to make a sound judgement. I’ll check it out over the weekend, try a port change, go back to EE alone and report back.
As ever, the experience and expertise of the forum is formidable and a great help.

1 Like

The Cisco does need a little time to sound it’s best.

Blimey, the eR runs hot, and I only have one streaming cable in on the A side (from my Cisco 2960), and it is on a shelf on its own with plenty of air around it. Surely long term this level of heat is going to tell on some of the components.

Are there set ups that have the eR run a little cooler?

Hi @NigelB. It is intended to run hot according to its creator(s). The entire casing acts as a heat sink. According to John S. and Alex P., talking at length about it, in their testing/modeling have found that it should have a life span reaching 20 years or so if I remember correctly.
Some owners run a small fan on it while others have affixed actual heat sinks purchased elsewhere to mitigate a few degrees C. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it in the least.

1 Like

Hi Nigel,
Everyone notices how warm it is. Apparently 40C ish is normal.
The components inside are all rated to run long term at over 100C, so no need to worry.
As the heat is dissipated primarily via radiation, not conduction, putting the ER on a shiny silver aluminium heatsink makes matters worse not better.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Yes, it does run hot. Some on the ER thread that Uptone sponsor have added heat sinks, fans …you name it. The designer has gone as far as saying that cooling it below its design temperature will impact SQ.
As it was going to sit on carpet behind my fraim i bought 2 30x 40mm granite chopping boards for it to sit on. Paid the princely sum of £10 each from Dunelm.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice on the eR’s heat generation.

After much thought, I have decided to pimp my eR. :wink: Here is the result:

I have utilised two stacks of foil takeaway trays and have stuck them on top of my eR with an integrated liquid cooling system. Clever, eh?

Looks great, don’t you think. In fact I think it is cooleR!

I’ll get me coat.

(Was unable to find a ‘tongue in cheek’ emoji)

Seriously, I am leaving my eR well alone!

5 Likes

Gosh…did not know you were doing take away food…we are on our way

We’re not, I’ve used all my takeaway trays on my eR!

1 Like

Can we come along too?

It’s such a subtle and tasteful upgrade to the ER.
It’s a wonder that all owners haven’t done it!

2 Likes

I don’t know what it is, if it’s real or a joke. But looks cool!
If you want something more discrete, I use 2 little pieces of fan under ER. It sits horizontal and has 2 fans.

In my set up both fans are under ER.

So; there is tweaking to be had with the many ‘add on’ power supplies and now there is tweaking to be had with the cooling? extra hear sinks and fans and things? Crikey, what a mad house!

1 Like

I hasten to add mine is a joke, but I have used a real photo by someone who actually did this!

2 Likes

It costed me 4 euros…and my ER is stable. For cooling I am even not sure it works :laughing:

1 Like

Madness…but funny.
I touched my ER now, just when listening. It’s more warm than hot. So maybe these fans are effective.
During the hot summer days, it was hot.

Fins?