Classic Nait Integrated Amps

I would keep it simple as your endgame is one box amplification anyway. There is something magical about the little shoeboxes and you won’t know until you have tried one.

The input signal is something to consider as well. Early Naits we’re not designed for a 2V input. I imagine that the NDX2 has a variable output volume like the ND5 XS2 so no problem there. Other inputs may be troublesome with little play in the volume knob. I have some Rothwell attenuators (-20dB source) that are plugged into the back of my Meridian 206 CDP which have solved the problem. The added headroom has, to my ears, opened up the sound more.

A Nait 1 would be the cheapest option. A service may not be necessary - your ears will let you know (£200 at Class A if you want one).

I’ve been up and down the Naim ladder (not to the highest of highs :relaxed:)and always returned to the CB Nait 2.

3 Likes

Well this is also an option. But, as I am in Australia availability is an issue. Shipping and import duty can be a bit of a PITA of buying international. Also if I get a used product I may have to factor in a service. Shipping something down to Brisbane for a service can cost an arm and a leg especially if I want to insure it. I suppose I just have to see how quickly I can save and see what’s available when the time comes.

These are great, but have no remote. Add a hicap and it’s fantastic. I believe you have easy to drive loudspeakers? Then an original Nait 5 is all you need.

1 Like

The original Nait 5 (first of the Nait 5) is a peach of an amp my friend has owned one for 20 years and won’t part with it.

1 Like

Indeed. I’ve tested mine with a variety of loudspeakers. Pair it with difficult loudspeakers and it’s dull / grey. Pair it with easy ones, and the difference between my SuperNait vanishes.

1 Like

Yeah my speakers are an easy load so not a problem. Obviously better with more power but it’s really quite amazing how well the Atom’s 40 watts drove them. Even when compared to the Nap 200.

I have a Nait 2 and have owned Nait 3 amo.
If decided on speakers ?, try a home demo of the new Rega IO.

1 Like

They are going to be alot better than a Nait in my opinion. I think they would go brilliantly with the NDX2 as a stop gap and then you could use them in a 2nd system.

I have a Nait 3 in a 2nd system in a small room and it sounds pretty good with a Thorens TD160.

Have had Nait 5si in the past and that sounds quite good.

Separates are different league. Going from Nait 5Si to 82 Hicap 250CB was a revelation. So a 72 is close to an 82 and with a 140 you will have a good system. Add a Hicap and you will have a very good set up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.