Classic rock and pop albums from the 1970s?

Abraxas - a great album! Indeed these were my student days and so many fantastic albums released. I certainly didn’t appreciate how lucky we were at the time.

4 Likes

Many thanks for all these suggestions. On a related matter, where are the best places to buy these in the UK nowadays? I last owned a turntable in 2013 (replaced by NDS)!

I use in no particular order
HMV
Amazon
What Records
Norman Records
The Sound of Vinyl
Discogs

I particularly like What Records and Discogs is full of independent shops and good for both new and 2nd hand

I saw Blondie on the UK Parallel Lines tour. My abiding memory was Debbie Harry holding reflective bracelets on her wrists above her head while spotlights shone on them.

I still remember waiting for their first album to be released on Chrysalis as in those pre-internet days it was not easy to get a copy on Private Stock . That first album would be my Blondie pick

Brian Eno - Another Green World
801 Live
Kevin Ayers - Bananamour
King Crimson - A Larks Tongue in Aspic
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Mink Deville - Cabretta
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Bowie pretty much every album.

1 Like

Thin Lizzy - “Jailbreak” and “Live and Dangerous”

2 Likes

Planets is probably the best one

2 Likes

Rather than do my usual list with Sandy, Eldorado, Brain Salad Surgery and New Cross New Cross. Here’s a different one

Amon Duul II - Dance of the Lemmings
Can - Ege Bamyası
Deutsch Amerikanischen Freundschaft - A Product of German-American Friendship
Eloy - Power & the Passion
Embryo - Opal
Faust - Faust
Floh de Cologne - Geyer-Symphonie
Grobschnitt - Grobschnitt
Guru Guru - Kanguru
Jane - Together
Lily - VCU
Ougenweide - All die weil ich mag
Wallenstein - Cosmic Century

5 Likes

I did buy that back in the 70s - and it is one album of very few albums I scarcely played, and ended up wondering what possessed me to buy it, and didn’t rip with my other vinyl…

Why? Don’t You Eat Carrots?

Faust were an experimental group that locked themselves away in order to come up with an album. If my memory serves me well Polydor wanted a German band along the lined of The Rolling Stones and Faust obliged with tapes of themselves doing the washing up.

I have to admit I really like Faust - hence my suggestion. They may not be for everybody I agree, but then who is? I’d sooner listen to Faust than country rock - I may be strange, but I sure ain’t weird.

If you aren’t keen on Faust then wait until you hear Flo de Cologne.

2 Likes

I’m giving this a spin on Qobuz in 24/96 and it is sounding rather good

I recall i some moods liking it in a masochistic sort of way, though IIRC there was one track that was better than the others - but not worth saving when I was ripping.

I don’t think they were quite the German Stones!

Wishbone ash - Argus. Classic double lead guitar.

5 Likes

Can you stretch the definition to include Fairport Convention? If so ‘Full House’.
And then Sandy Denny: Sandy
And of course Richard and Linda Thompson: I want to see the bright lights

1 Like

The best singer-songwriter album ever IMHO. The songs are so good it makes the listener think they been around forever. She was an amazing talent and a sad loss for the world when she died so young.

The guest musicians on Sandy include Richard Thompson, Sneaky Pete Kleinow, Dave Swarbrick. John Bundrick. Pat Donaldson, Timi Donald. John Kirkpatrick, Linda Thompson, Harry Robinson, Allen Toussaint & Trevor Lucas.

I think it is great shame that the Sandy Denny box set is no longer available new. I bought it the day it came out, but the spivs are now selling them for 10 times the original price. However, you can get this nice collection that was released in August 2016 at a bargain price.

This box contains

1. The North Star Grassman and the Ravens (1971)
  2. Sandy (1972)
  3. Like an Old Fashioned Waltz (1973)
  4. Rendezvous (1977)
  5. Gold Dust (Live recording from 1977)

At £2.50 per CD, you can’t go wrong. The first three albums are unsurpassed by anybody (IMO, of course) and the rest is of a very high standard. This collection of Sandy Denny’s finest albums provides a low-cost introduction to Denny’s music.

Camphuw’s other recommendations are superb too.

2 Likes

What a great collection - ordered!
Why - because I don’t have three of them.

1 Like

The alternative 1970s - in the early 70s I would suggest these 3 ground braking albums,

Third World War - Third World War
Third World War 2 - Third World War
Nadir’s Big Chance - Peter Hammill

The first two were much maligned on release, but had they appeared towards the end of the 70s would have been lauded by the same critics who dismissed them. These albums are every bit as good as anything the MC5 released (so very good in other words).

All Peter Hammill’s recordings are superb, but Nadir was his punk alter ego back in 1975.

But what of those punks and new wavers? Did they just produce dross or was there some great stuff. Hopefully something on the list will lead you to agree it wasn’t all bad.

Crossing the Read Sea with the Adverts - Adverts
Italians from Outer Space - Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias
Image Has Cracked - Alternative TV
Another Music in a Different Kitchen - Buzzcocks
Chelsea - Chelsea
London’s Calling - The Clash
Damned Damned Damned - The Damned
New Cross New Cross - The Desperate Bicycles
Remorse Code -The Desperate Bicycles
Live from the Witch Trials - The Fall
Flying Lizards - The Flying Lizards
Real Life - Magazine
Songs for Swinging Lovers - The Radio Stars
Tell Us the Truth - Sham 69
Cool for Cats - Squueze
Rattus Norvedicus - The Stranglers
The Undertones - the Undertones
Pure Mania - The Vibrators
Pink Flag - Wire
Germ Free Adolescents - X Ray Specs

I’ve highlighted my 3 favourites from the era. It was a shame disco suddenly appeared and so much that was inspiring at the time seemed to vanish. I haven’t included the wonderful Television Personalities because I think their first album was in 1980, but they were only part-time punks who knew where Syd Barrett lived.

Wire are still going strong and are one of the best from this period.

3 Likes

Saga debut album from 1978

4 Likes

The proof ine the pudding. Please have a look here :slight_smile:Pochettes Vinyles Mythiques

J-Luc

I love that list. Add some Ash Ra Tempel and Agitation Free and we’re good to go.