Classic rock and pop albums from the 1970s?

How about:
Wishbone Ash
Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Stray

3 Likes

Eagles. Hotel California
Joni, Everything she’s done
CSNY, Deja Vu
Grateful Dead, Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel, Terrapin Station
Allman Brothers
The Beatles, Let it Be

2 Likes

Some fabulous choices there, and although you’ve asked for LPs I can’t help but recommend the compilation tape that lived in my car from 1978 until it (cassette not car) was lost without trace in the early 80s. What was on this compilation? The Alan Freeman Saturday Rock Show Final Show from August 1978, an absolute blast from start to finish that showcased what he called ‘the giants on album.’

Elton
The Who
Dylan
Sandy Denny
BJH
The best version of We Will Rock You, a John Peel session from October 1977
And so it goes on, 3 hours of the best, and includes the Radio 1 news jingle of the time (in stereo!! *).

The Final Saturday Show

• wind through to 59:25 to get the end of Joey from Desire, Fluff giving it due credit then a smooth segue into a R1 sting and the news bulletin. It’s a Saturday afternoon in the 70s all over again.
1 Like

I just started listening to this show on Mixcloud. I cannot tell you how big a smile it gave me to hear the intro and Fluff’s voice again. Really took me back to happy 70s days. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Steely Dan’s Countdown to Ecstasy, The Royal Scam, Aja

3 Likes

Gaucho is excellent too!

3 Likes

Status Quo - Hello

Magma - Mekanik Destruktiv Kommando

Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Yes - Close To The Edge

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

Marillion - Script For A Jester’s Tear

ZZTop - Eliminator

UB40 - Present Arms (straight or In Dub)

Hawkwind- Doremi Fasoh Latido

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Rick Wakeman - Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth

Julian Lloyd Webber - Variations

That’ll do for now…

steve

3 Likes

Stray - That brings back memories. When I saw them in 1970s the audience applauded when changed chords…

steve

2 Likes

:grinning: Hawkwind play a whole set in one key…
usually E! :wink:

ZZ Top, Iron Maiden, Marillion and maybe more are from the 80’snot 70’s

1 Like

Aha. Yes but released in 1980 :wink:

My memory has failed me - not for the first time!!

1 Like

Lol. Yes too long ago. Was just kidding. I’m not really an annoying pedant!

No problem, even though Gaucho was released in the 80’s I won’t hold that against it!!

1 Like

This was for classic ROCK and POP I think, right.
There’s been suggestions of:
Cat Stevens
Joni M
Neil Y
Bob Dylan
Etc.
These are Folk singers.
How about Joan Baez and Emmylou Harris and others. We should stay to the rock genre, I think.

It’s like adding King Crimson to a Country and Western thread.
Well, IMHO, anyway …

Dave

1 Like

My list was longer but then I decided the OP just asked for rock and pop which just trashed 60% of my list. Remaining of strictly my favourite rock and pop are:

Rush: 2112
10cc: The Original Soundtrack
Supertramp: Crime of the Century
Eagles: Eagles
Grand Funk Railroad: Grand Funk
Montrose: Montrose

2 Likes

image image

8 Likes

@AndrewG - if you do a lot of homework and have patience, then fleabay & other markets often have collections of 1970/80’s vinyl, from sellers who are moving to streaming/just want to get rid.

But, as with all things, checking provenance & condition are paramount - together with the ability to inspect (if you can) and collect.

Be wary of some grading commentary on LPs. Some just comment on visual condition and I must say I’ve bought a couple from (supposedly) reputable sellers, which play terribly - think Rice Krispies post addition of milk! Not again but I know others use Discogs and alike and find such sources OK.

Also, a good record cleaning machine can help.

Frank Zappa’s Hot Rats was released in October 69 - close enough?
Brilliant.

1 Like

Well '69 is technically the 70th year so perhaps :wink: