Classic series casework query

Hi All,

Quick question on casework/workmanship, it’s a minor thing but should the edges of the front section line up exactly with the rest of the case?

On my 272 the edges line up perfectly but I’ve just received preowned 250DR and the front section is misaligned, offset 3mm to one side. Unfortunately stuff like this sticks out like a sore thumb to me on any equipment costing ££££s. The box is pretty damaged but nothing obvious on the casework itself.

1 Like

Photo might be useful.
Unless you know the history, it may have been serviced or even been modified by an unauthorised service centre. Naim will confirm serial number and history if you didn’t check before purchase (service history, only if at hq).

1 Like

They should line up (and when they don’t I can’t let go either …). I once fixed a misaligned front on a preowned Nait 5si (I think it was) by loosening the bolts and re-adjusting the front. Not sure if this can be done on a 250DR, but worth checking. Alternatively, if you have a friendly dealer nearby it might be worth asking for a little help.

1 Like

Do you mean that the front panel sticks out to one side, or that the gap between it and the front is 3mm bigger at one end than the other? If the latter, it’s likely been like that from new, as fronts are not always lined up as well as the should be.

If the former, however, that’s not good and the front panel is likely to have had a bash from one side. I would be returning it for a refund if this is the case.

1 Like

If the former, however, that’s not good and the front panel is likely to have had a bash from one side. I would be returning it for a refund if this is the case.

The front panel sticks out to one side, gap is even along the front.

Bash from one side is exactly what my concern is. It is a preowned unit but from a dealer with warranty provided and an online purchase so protected dia distance selling regs etc. if it is damaged. The box is pretty knackered, the dealer covered it in brown paper so no fragile tape or ‘precision fragile equipment’ wording on display (if that makes any difference). I winced when FedEx just dropped it on the driveway as I went to answer the door but I’m sure Naim’s packaging is designed with this in mind!

Thanks, I’ll take some photos. The dealer said it had been serviced when DR upgrade was done and would provide paperwork but nothing in the box, I’ll try and confirm the history with Naim.

If it’s purely cosmetic then not too bad but if it’s definitely evidence of the amp having sustained a significant whack then I’ll go back to the dealer and/or look at getting it serviced myself.

You seem terribly accommodating. I’d be speaking to the dealer immediately, asking either for a refund or for them to send it to Naim for a full check and fix at their expense. Don’t accept shoddy goods.

The way the front panels affix to the base plate inside the aluminium sleeve can easy be slightly crooked if care wasn’t taken when screwing them together. There is a part of the base plate in each product that lines up perfectly with the top inside ridge of the fascia. This is how you know when assembling it to hold it firm when that lined up while you screw it on. The holes themselves allow for minor movement so that manual alignment during assembly is vital.

If it’s a bit wonky, your dealer can adjust this. Or you can yourself with the right size allen keys.

The way the front panels affix to the base plate inside the aluminium sleeve can easy be slightly crooked if care wasn’t taken when screwing them together. There is a part of the base plate in each product that lines up perfectly with the top inside ridge of the fascia.

Thanks, this might explain it because flipping the unit over shows all the machine screws offset to one side by what appears to be the same amount the front panel is misaligned with the case. Is it just a case of backing the machine screws off by about half a turn, realign the case then re-tighten sensibly by hand? If so this seems easier then shipping it back to the dealer (not local) if it’s that simple to rectify.

I’ve seen front fascia panels displaced by rough handling. The padded inserts should ensure they don’t get damaged but they can actually assist in pushing the panels inwards or sideways if the box takes a hefty enough blow. It should be a simple enough job for the dealer to re-align the fascia.

I winced when FedEx just dropped it on the driveway

Would that be sufficient!?

I’d be more than wincing if I witnessed that.

Same.
Quick story to share.

Once saw a Linn Chakra Power Amplifier worth RRP £xxxx appear thrown out of the back of a courier van, tossed onto the tarmac roadway.

Was furious…
Couldn’t stop my instinct to explain to driver the potential consequences of this action, ( that’s the polite version ).

It happens
R

Thanks to all that replied, just realigned it myself in a couple of minutes, now it’s perfectly square. Really didn’t seem worth the faff of sending it back to a dealer for that as I didn’t even need to remove the case. My main concern was whether it was an indication of damage or ‘normal’ for it to be like that, the sanity check was much appreciated!

Also, not sure what is going on with the reviewers etc. who open these things up on YouTube but does no one use ESD precautions these days?

1 Like

@gthack I doubt it, Naim’s packaging is pretty decent - it’s more that I saw that happen then first thing I noticed was the damaged carton and the wonky front panel. Pretty sure it’s fine now and the case just wasn’t put back together perfectly square by whoever last opened it up.

@ratrat I would’ve been livid too! It’s a shame when stuff gets treated like that with contempt, even if the driver doesn’t know the value of I like to think they still appreciate someone worked for it. HiFi is probably one of the worst things for shipping because it’s fragile, expensive, and weighs a ton!

I should just clarify (before I get done for libel) the FedEx guy didn’t raise the parcel aloft then smash it into the driveway, just sort of gave up holding onto it and let it drop the last few inches onto the ground.

@Richard.Dane I was wondering that but I’m hoping it just wasn’t reassembled straight; I didn’t know it was such a simple job to line it back up when I posted the thread, today I learned something!

3 Likes