With a growing collection of classical music I’ve been looking at tagging for this genre for some time and how to best present them in Asset so I can easily locate music.
It’s easy for non classical as generally I use Album Artist as my way in and occasionally genre but classical seems a lot more complex.
I’m finding that for classical I often wish to locate a work by choosing composer first and then via the composition name, e.g. Symphony No. 1 in C major. It’s quite likely though that there will be more than one copy of the same work!
Inspired by playing around with tags and trying out Minimserver I think I have come up with a good solution for Asset users which I’ll share below. I generally prefer Asset as I find it faster, like the upstream album art and only really want to run one server.
I’m tagging all albums with a consistent composer name. I prefer the format Surname, Firstname. i.e. Brahms, Johannes
I’ve added (or more correctly adding!) a Composition tag to each track. The composition is the name of the work. E.g.
Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21
Each track in the symphony will be a movement and will be named accordingly, e.g.
- Symphony No 1 in C major - Adagio molto-allegro con brio
- Symphony No 1 in C major - Andante cantabile con moto
This has the effect of allowing all the movements to be associated with one work.
I’m also trying to use the orchestra and conductor tags where known.
So the challenge was how to get Asset to display this logically. It requires some configuration but this is what I did.
- Setup a separate instance of Asset for classical music. Once done point the watched media folders to just the classical music. Recent versions of Asset allow multiple instances
- Get Asset to recognise the new Composition tag. To do this edit the MediaDatabaseFields5.txt file for your chosen instance. Add the following to the end of the file
- Edit the browse tree to add the following (using the text editor). I placed this at the top of my browse tree
- Restart Asset and you will see a new browse tree that will allow you to select a composer first and then you have a choice by Album, Artist, Composition, Conductor, Genre and Orchestra
It’s not as smart as Minimserver but I like the speed and consistency of using just Asset.
I’d be interested in seeing how others do this and whether there are improvements to be made.