Cleaning the Image Sensor in a DSLR Camera

Yes Don. Flick switch and it spins for 5 - 10 secs. The static is generated. Stop the spinning and just move the bristles back and forth on the sensor a couple of times. The width of the brush is the same as the sensor. Once out of the camera, flick the switch again and it spins any dust off. It does such a good job, it’s a very quick and easy thing to do.

Quite a while before buying one, I thought it may be a bit gimmicky, but it’s actually a very well thought through product. I remember all the losing battles of me using blowers and other small brushes, only to see dust still there (or added there!) after cleaning.

Oil spots are another issue. If they’re there, the brush will do nothing and in fact the brush head will need replacing if contaminated by them. You can clean the brush head, but I would rather buy another one if it came to it.

Have just cleaned mine with eyelead [that’s the brand] sticks and sensor cleaning fluid. The hardest part is not dropping the sticks getting them out of the packaging.

Seems to work well.

I use the Arctic Butterfly 724s, which is very effective and easy.

For spots that don’t move, I then use Visible Dust MXD-100 swabs with Sensor Clean. 4 drops of fluid on the swab and swipe once (maybe cheekily twice) per side. It’s quite expensive this method, but it works and you never need to rely on cleaning services and can do it anytime for just a few spots. Last time I cleaned my sensor, I used 7 swabs, but this was because I became ocd where a couple of spots didn’t move.

The key all this cleaning is meticulous cleanliness of the brush and swabs. Never touch the brush heads or swabs with fingers. Don’t put more than 4 small drops of fluid on the swabs.

As I said before, blower brushes, compressed air or even worse, your breath, are the recipes for a mess.