Cleaning your stylus

Your comments are appreciated. Sacred me buying one.
I’ll stick with my loupe. :smiley:

1 Like

Just ordered the Zomba stylus cleaner. 13 uk pounds. Good reviews on many forums and not expensive.

Is this a gel or what? Let us know how you find it.

1 Like

It’s a polymer dust magnet. Similar to Vinyl passion dust buster.

Didn’t Bib make those packs for cleaning records in the 70’s with a ‘velvety’ brush, some kind of cleaning fluid or maybe that was for cassette heads?

2 Likes

From a 1978 catalogue:

I’m pretty sure I had that ‘tonearm-like’ dust sweeper as a kid.

1 Like

I have this one since 10 years. I used it very rarely, just to clean my stylus.
After what I read here, I threw it away yesterday.
Don’t want to risk deterioration of my cart.
Ordered the zomba polymer, made in uk.

1 Like

I use Lyra SPT on the pad of an AT637. I just let the majority of the liquid soak in before lowering the Krystal stylus onto the pad. I’ve done it like this ever since about the time I saw Tony’s (@Derosa) failed cantilever on another forum.

Now I got the Fancii 20x jeweler’s loupe from Amazon, 19 EUR. This works quite well. The magnification is good enough for my purposes (dirt check), you don’t have to get quite so close to the object, and also the eye can have like 2 or 3 cm distance from the loupe. Beware, there is also a 30x version and according to comments its optics are much worse.

I am impressed with the cleaning powers of my AT637 too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brave man! :grin:

I use Onzow Zerostat. Very good results

Speak to Nigel Crump who is/are the UK Lyra importer in the UK. He is a helpful guy and will point you in the right direction. Symetry Audio.

I threw it away. Used it maybe twice on my recent Delos cart, so should not be a problem.
Waiting for the Zomba now.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.