Connect Sony WH 1000 xm4 wireless headphones to the Uniti Atom

1. is it possible to connect Sony WH 1000 xm4 wireless headphones to Uniti Atom without Bluetooth Audio Transmitter
  2. in case the answer to #1 is Yes, can you refer me please to the paring description?
  3. if the answer to #1 is No, can you recommend for a Bluetooth Audio Transmitter?
    thanks a lot. Avi

The answer to 1 is no. Unfortunately I can’t answer 3, but Mr Google may be able to assist.

1 Like

there are better headphones than sony xm4. Really don’t worry too much if you can’t connect them to your atom. you can get something terrific instead. I have the wf xm4 which I enjoy but sound wise hifiman he4xx blow them out of the water (and are actually cheaper)

1 Like

But the OP wants to use bluetooth. AFAIK the he4xx phones are wired (and open back, to boot) so a completely different product really.

Where I do agree is that the Sonys are not the highest of hifi (I have a pair of XM2s). This makes me wonder if using a bluetooth transmitter with the Atom will give significantly better sound with these phones than using bluetooth directly from the iPad or whatever device is being used to run the control app.

Roger

2 Likes

Exactly. At least with Android the transmission over BT is the same (or better, depending on what codecs the BT transmitter for the Atom supports). I don’t know about iOS, for the longest time it had no Apt-X or LDAC and I believe that at least in the past only used a better BT codec than SBC if the source files were AAC or ALAC. Don’t know if anything changed there.

The DAC is in the headphones anyway.

1 Like

I tend to agree with that. I have the WH 1000 xm2 and the xm3. They serve their purpose. (Shortly they will be cleaning the side of my apartment building and the xm3 will receive heavy use.

The only wireless headphones I have ever tried that bear comparison with wired headphones is the PSB M4U8. (pardon singular/plural confusion).

1 Like

Hi Avihersh

Sorry if I am a bit off- topic but do you get any loud sound interference with your Sony Wireless headphones when using them with a mobile phone? I originally bought a pair of the Sony XM3 and I couldn’t stop intermittent loud noise interference when using them with both 2 different iPhones and an iPad. I couldn’t tell whether the noise was caused by incoming messages and alerts on the phone or from electric items in the house.

Sony were unable to solve the problem and as they were just over 12 months old wouldn’t refund my money but offered me a pair of the XM4s for a special price of £100 so I took the offer. Sadly this pair are no better and when I tried to use them on a bus journey recently there was a continual loud interference noise that was so bad I couldn’t hear the music. I also get regular interference when listening through them at home

When the Sony phones work they are quite good for what they are but because of the above issues I have gone back to my old wired Bose pair that have great noise cancelling

Bob

1 Like

I use my XM2s mostly when travelling and when away from the house and have never encountered noises like that. It sounds like some sort of Bluetooth interference. Do you get the same problem using them wired?

Roger

1 Like

I use my XM3s when travelling. They’re perfectly adequate but cannot compare with high end wired.

1 Like

Hi Roger
Thanks for the suggestion and I will try them wired
Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob,
the audio quality of the XM4 is good, not great… i use it via my laptop (Lenovo). the headphone is used for both working purposes (mainly teams meetings) and music (Tidal - master/HIFI). over all the headphnes are ok.
regards. Avi

I’ve used mine with iPhones and an iPad without a problem.

Sorry to have diverted this topic. I just cannot find what’s wrong when I use these phones. It may be something about Bluetooth but I regularly use Bluetooth between my iPhone and radios and other devices in the house with no interference.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.