Connecting 2x555PS to ND555

Hope Naim will launch soon a Statement streamer. I will be then in the capacity to buy a second hand Nd555/555 dr at a lower price than actually. The prices are around 20 k actually, too much for me .

2 Likes

One on a famous auction site right now for £14k (2017)

Please note I have no interest in promoting the sale of that item, but it shows the cost can be far lower than 20k.

Actually if circumstances were different for us that would be worth a punt. Sell on the 555 and our NDX2 to recover a good percentage of cost, would be about 5k to upgrade to an ND555. Bad timing :cry:

I have BT home hub - then a long run to my Lounge with the HiFi and in that room I have a Cisco 2960 and use that to stage to the Ethernet Regen (ER) switch, which in my case feeds a Melco music NAS then the Melco itself stages to the ND555.

I found another good quality non-HiFi switch ahead of the ER switch sounded good as a combo for whatever reason. I also run my Naim App via an old iPadMini in wired Ethernet mode (rather than WiFi) into the Cisco switch to control the ND555-Melco combo.

I could have run the ER switch to feed both ND555 and Melco seperately as another way to do things and some prefer that, but I quite like how it all works right now - and the ER only uses one port in and one port out. I tried Optical between Cisco and ER and although that works fine and is nominally ‘quieter’ it is also awful musically and loses lots of low-level details in music - perhaps the ER optical port is not good enough as some have said and I may try another Optical device ahead …but what I have now I’m very pleased with in its end-results that it is hard to find the effort to tinker more. This is where it is good to reach IMO.

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but may be of interest.

Main thing is try things and experiment until you are happy with the results.

DB.

1 Like

I mean 20 k euros. Have not seen the 14k however but will check again. Thanks

The detail is absolutely what I need so Thankyou for the information.

I will as you suggest try a number of options that are practical in my house and see what sounds best to my ears.

Your comments on optical are also very interesting.

May be of interest.

G

1 Like

I can support all what has been mentioned. I advise everybody who can afford it to get the 2nd in and enjoy and never look back again.

2 Likes

Instead of a second ps, there’s also another choice: Melco N10 or Innuos Statement. For local streaming, it would very probably be a better upgrade in sound than a second ps.

That’s very true but only helps local streaming. The second PS would help local and streaming

I guess it depends which you use most

1 Like

The detail is absolutely what I need so Thankyou for the information.

I will as you suggest try a number of options that are practical in my house and see what sounds best to my ears.

Your comments on optical are also very interesting.

If that’s what you are wanting then sorry to say this but i think you need to open up your options somewhat

I am learning, so I absorb as much information as possible. Hence I seek useful thoughts and comments.

You usually get what you pay for and the cost of a second PS555 on the NDS gave me a commensurate gain in musical enjoyment, as well as the usual HiFi performance improvement - separation, detail, insight, sound stage scale and positioning, and all that. I can’t speak to one versus two PSs on the ND555 because mine started life with the two that came over from my NDS.

I’m not sure about that at all. And I mean not sure, not that I am expressing polite disagreement. I’d have to try since I never did the comparison, but I suspect I would go for the two PS555s first, much as I love what the Statement and indeed PhoenixNet bring to the show.

it’s why i said " probably". Not sure too. But i remember how big was the difference between my past Unitserve vs the Melco N1Z i have now, for local streaming. So i imagine still a bigger difference between a common Nas and Innuos Statement or Melco N10.
Some said the second 555 dr gave a difference but they realized it when going back to one.

Easy to relate to. Asset on a QNAP blew my HDX-SSD away when serving my NDS. It was getting in the way, but files ripped on the HDX sounded just as good as anything I’ve ripped since at 16/44 with dBpoweramp. It wasn’t the rips, it was the server. This is easy to test of you have a NAS. I had back-to-back material running in less than a quarter of an hour once Asset was installed and the difference was obvious. Minimserver on the NAS worked a treat too.

It is difficult to say if this transformation was greater than adding a second PS555DR to the NDS. I think it probably was. They were both worth doing.

1 Like

Thanks chaps now looking at Melco and there are a few good deals out there.
I do a fair bit of Tidal streaming so the second PS may still be the way to go in the first instance.

Melco have good deals right now, power supply with melco.
Can you get qobuz? As this alone should give you a slightly better result as qobuz has hi res as obviously naim can’t do MQA

Yes I have Qobuz and I am making comparisons. Thank you for the suggestion.

Maybe @Michaelb could say us if the streaming on Qobuz was uplifted since he has the Innuos Statement.
There’s also the audiophile switch that may considerably enhance the sound quality. Most with Nd555 use the Uptone Etheregen or the Innuos PhoenixNet.
Difficult however to predict if a second 555 dr will give more uplift vs a high quality switch with a top linear ps or vs an audiophile server like Melco or Innuos.
But each of them give very nice uplifts.

1 Like

For me (and I suspect others) it wasn’t either an upgraded switch or additional 555PSDR. The end game (ha!) is always maximum optimisation.

Which ever you do now, the other will follow.

I guess.

G