Connecting active speakers

Active driving is an odd thing - it is a major step up from passive, but there is always the challenge as to which is better, active or the same money on a better amp passive. One angle is that when you have reached a limit in Amp upgrades, and are still convinced your speakers are the best for you, then going active makes sense. Otherwise it perhaps is more a combination of circumstances: e.g you happen to have a spare amp, or, for example as in my case, a DIY project led you there.

That’s a good point. So it may just be easier, and possibly cheaper, to upgrade the SQ initially by adding a Nac282 or a 250dr.
I don’t have a spare amp at this point, so I’ll have to think about the options. I figured at some point I would be adding a 282 to the SN2, and then eventually a 250dr and give the SN2 to one of my daughters. Problem is … two of my daughters would love to have it.
Anyway, I’ll research all this for a bit, and see what kit is available.
Thanks so much for your input.

FWIW, my experience of and conversion to active speakers came relatively late in my hifi journey. I was running 272/XPSDR/250DR into PMC Fact 3s, a system I was thoroughly enjoying. Then I heard some ATC active speakers making astonishing music at a local show and asked my dealer for a demo with some of my own music. That was a genuine wow moment, first with active 19s then the 40s I eventually bought. I have been in the hifi game for many decades and this really was something I had not heard before at least at a price level I was happy with. The only question was whether they would work in my room, so I had them on loan for a couple of weeks and my mind was made up. That was 18 months ago and I’m still delighted with them.

As for connecting up the system, with something like a 272 or my Auralic replacement for the 272, it couldn’t be simpler: one signal cable (from streamer/pre to speakers) for each channel and power leads to the streamer and each speaker. That’s it! No tangle of wires and, to my ears at least, superbly realistic sound.

Roger

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more :ok_hand:t3:

Well that makes two - I have placed my order for the same system. :blush:

I have been looking into the active ATC SCM40A as well, but it isn’t clear to me if this is possible with an integrated amp like the Supernait 2 and the fact that I have a turntable as one of my main sources. Would I need to change the integrated amp to a separate preamp?

Regards

I don’t think a new amp is essential. My memory is a bit hazy from when I had a SuperNait 1, but I think you’d simply need to remove the link plug and use the pre-amp out socket for the cable to the speakers. You’d only be using the preamp section of the SN and bypassing the power amp. I’d check this with your dealer first, though.

Whilst this should work, the ATCs are very revealing of other parts of the system, so I would be looking to replace the SN in the long term. You never know, Naim might produce the much discussed successor to the 272 this year, which could form a fine partner to the ATCs.

Roger

1 Like

Can I ask you please, whether you have auditioned the Vega and SCM40A with either the Auralic Aries or Leo, or both?

Thanks! I will look into this.

Yes, I plan to move to a 282/250DR system within time. But reading about the SCM40 I realise I’m sort of at a crossroad already. One alternative would be to move to active ATC SCM40 at once, and looking for a 282 preamp, in line with your suggestion. Rather than buying passive SCM40 and then have the future outlays for both preamp and poweramp to better match the speakers, although not really reaching the performance of the active ones…

Sometimes I also dream of the SCM50 classic speakers (not the floorstanders), but that is another game I guess.

regards

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.