Connecting NAC 282 to Supernait 2

Hi all,

I know that this has been asked before, but I’m struggling to find a definitive answer (even from a Naim dealer)!

I want to add a NAC 282 into my current system. I currently have a NDX2 - SN2 - HiCapDR.

Since the HiCap DR already utilises a SNAIC 4 and SNAIC 5, my question is…do I need any other cables to perform the upgrade?

Slightly off topic, but has anyone with the same system as me performed this upgrade? If so, would you consider it a ‘no going back’ improvement in SQ?

Many thanks :grinning:

You should be fine, I think.

Power the NAC282 with the HICAP DR via SNAIC5. Then take pre-amp signal from the HICAP DR to the power amp section of the Supernait 2 via SNAIC4 (use Power Amp in on the SN2).

I’ve never done it before, but am a strong proponent of upgrading the pre-amp. My only slight concern would be whether this is a better upgrade than adding an XPS DR or 555PS to the NDX2 for similar outlay.

4 Likes

Most Naim upgrades are… in my experience (since 1982).

Even more so, if your addition is ‘pre-loved’…!!

1 Like

Thanks, Richard.

I see my end goal as owning a 282/250DR combo so will most likely end up going down that route. The PS upgrade for the NDX2 is definitely of interest though!

1 Like

In the manual:

Note: When an external preamplifier is connected to the Supernait 2 power-amp in socket, a fault will initially be indicated by the Supernait 2 mute button flashing. To clear the fault, press and hold the flashing mute button. This will un-mute the amplifier and turn off the display and volume indicator.

4 Likes

I added a NAC 282 to my SN 2/NDX 2 system a couple of years ago and found the upgrade was fantastic.

…that did lead to the the SN 2 being replace by a NAP 250DR a short time later which was also a lovely upgrade as well.

This topic has been discussed quite a bit and the search feature is helpful if you are looking for information regarding the upgrade path of the SN 2. A simple search using ‘282 - SN2’ will list 50+ threads.

2 Likes

Are there financial constraints to prevent part exchanging the Supernait for a 282/250 immediately?