Connecting NAIM 52 and supercap to the Naim Crossover and HiCap

Nac 52 Nap 135 six pack was my dream system with a Linn turntable and Nak Dragon being the icing on the cake. Difficult to improve unless spending copious amount of cash imo. Definitely an improvement over the Nac 82[good as it is].

1 Like

You beat me to it. The service cost should be minimal and bring the boards back to design. Some will not value this though.

2 Likes

I think these ‘new’ 5xx boards for sale (on eBay, etc ), should be really described as New Old Stock.

Not sure when Naim stopped making these…?

@Richard.Dane - ??

They stopped the 5xx boards during my time at the factory, so at least 15 years ago now.

1 Like

So around 2010 then…? Roughly.

So any ‘new’ board is already due for its first service - !!!

Only if you believe that all capacitors fail at the stroke of midnight after ‘x’ years. :grinning:

2 Likes

Outright failure is one thing, degradation another. What i think we are discussing here is how caps degrade with time;whether used or not. Heat will accelerate this degredation.

1 Like

how many caps are on each phono board that should be replaced with the service?

Frank

@NeilS could probably let you know what is done with the phono boards for a factory service.

There are two tantalum caps that need to be replaced on each board IIRC - so four in total. Cost is minimal.

Discussion of details of this or how its done as a ‘DIY task’, are probably outside the Forum TOU.

One pair of 523s = 4x tant caps & 4x electrolytic axials.

One pair of 522s = 4x tant caps & 6x electrolytic axials.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

thanks Neil, this helps. I am thinking that i should send in the 52 with the 523 boards inside to have them serviced. the 52 has been serviced about 18 months ago but it can’t hurt to have it all checked out when the phono boards are serviced. Where do you recommend i send it for service direct with NAIM? the Canada repair center? is there a contact number for them?

:open_mouth: - it does not need servicing… :thinking:

Just get the phono boards done,

2 Likes

I would not risk shipping the Nac 52 if service is not needed. Just send in the phono boards.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.