Connecting Naim Nac-N-272 to Another Make Power Amplifier

Check the manual section 3.4
You can’t use the + option to add a 272, it should just appear I.e., found automatically when you open the app, assuming all is good with your home network.

Ignore any Apple store app ratings, all the 1’s and 2’s will be from years ago when the app needed work on it, from there it’s very difficult to recover a score to anywhere near a 5. It’s a totally different app now, significantly more stable and used daily by many on this forum who can attest to “it just works”.

1 Like

Be careful of the XPS Non Dr (needs service) power supplies as I find no difference over a 272/250DR. For me the 250DR is the best Naim upgrade I have experienced. I went from a SN2 which is probably the same quality pre as the 272.

Thanks Robert, it seems I’m falling at the first hurdle. The app isn’t finding the room nor the device via the + sign. Got Jriver as I said plus Internet radio working but that’s it. Tried Spotify as a matter of interest and my Ipad finds my 272 but it is greyed out and playback restricted is written below. The 272 is ‘wired’ to the internet via a powerline and my other devices such as ipad with naim app are wireless on the same network. I just can’t get my head around it. I guess I’ve been lucky in that all the other devices I’ve owned previously have been plug and play…

The 272 is plug and play!
The powerline won’t be helping, they inject nasties and could be upsetting the 272.
Might be worth doing a factory reset on the 272 to remove any settings from wherever it was set up before.
You could drive it completely from jremote and never miss anything. In effect the 272 can be used as a dumb device where you never touch a button on it and control it completely from a upnp server.
Some peoples networks just don’t seem to be compatible for random reasons. Virgin hub boxes are one example, or a set up with fixed ip addresses or any manner of network tweaks. “All my other devices work” is a common response. A decent router, switch and a fully wired network should always work but there are threads galore on this forum that oppose this. It usually boils down to some router setting put there by your isp that’s breaks it. Difficult to determine remotely. The 272 should just be listed in the app when you open it up.
Can you temporarily wire the 272 direct to your router just to get it going and rule out the powerlines?

It’s not practical I’m afraid - the router is a long way off. However…I reset to factory settings and tried again. No luck. I deleted the app and reinstalled…nothing. I then unplugged the router and left disconnected while I had my tea. Reset and nothing. Unplugged the powerline and tried to connect wirelessly. On the 5th attempt it connected. Ready for the Naim app said the display. Great I thought. Tried the app and nothing found. Connecting wirelessly said the ‘help’, use the + sign to install a new device but 272 not among the default devices listed. At this stage, there’s smoke coming out of my ears, lol. Tried removing the app and reinstalling one last time and voila, there is the 272. Hallelujah! Too drained to go any further currently and off to the football soon anyway but thank you Robert for your advice and continued assistance. I may just crack this yet :sunglasses:

Back again I’m afraid. Unit still not working on wireless (and via powerline). Everything adds up i.e. I can select iradio and choose a channel and the front screen will start ticking up the seconds but there’s silence through the speakers. Similarly, I can choose Spotify and Ready connect to spotify comes up and I connect and it plays through my Ipad but not the 272 which is greyed out. Also Jriver not working now either. It just makes no sense…

At risk of being irritating, you really need to try connecting the 272 to your router with an Ethernet cable, even if that means a temporary long cable as a trial, or moving your 272 to be nearer to the router, again as a trial. Powerline adaptors are the work of the devil and the 272’s wifi is really not great. Once solidly on the network it should just appear on the app. You really should not need to keep deleting the app, just swipe it off the screen and then restart it.

1 Like

Hi HH, no it appears on the app now under Rooms which it wasn’t yesterday, it just won’t play anything whether that’s iradio, spotify or anything else. Even Jriver that was working yesterday won’t play now. I’m on upnp and the 272 is picked up on Jriver but no sound. Switched back to my Marantz and it plays flawlessly, so thinking I may have inherited a dud unfortunately. I’ve never had these issues before with a separate like this… (incidentally under upnp on the 272 display it says no servers)

I’ve just got my server up on the 272 screen. It will scroll through albums but when I select one it says ‘Can’t play’ ‘skipped track’

Do try the wired connection and see what happens.

I may have to but I don’t see what that will achieve. The device is giving all the impressions that it is working but there’s no sound. Even tried a USB device with music and the device says playing but no sound. I just can’t see how that is internet related…

Could it be that it’s playing but there’s no signal getting to the power amp?

If so the RCA output sockets may simply be turned off! (Check in the setting menu.)

Hi X, I’m currently using an Integrated amplifier and the 272 as a source. The Krell is working fine and I’ve tried different sources to verify that. Could that still be RCA sockets turned off? Is that in the setup menu?

Oh and it was working oh so briefly yesterday on iradio and via Jriver. Now it goes through the motions but no sound…

Xanthe, I think I love you. As part of my trials and tribulations yesterday I did a factory setup so that must have turned the AO’s off. Many thanks, Mike

I have run a cable across my living room carpet temporarily. :scream: (Now two months, in the process of redecorating, though.) After my CDS3 packed up, I had to find a solution to improve the streaming side of the 272. I purchased a designacable Ethernet lead, which improved my initial cable, which was no better than wireless.

Hi again, how would I connect my Nakamichi tape deck to the 272? Sorry but I’m used to ‘tape in’ and ‘tape out’ amplifier connectors. Rather than trial and error I’d appreciate a bit of guidance. Many thanks once again.

The NAC-N 272 also has line in and out connections, they are just labelled differently. I’ve never tried it myself, but the connections marked below should work for you.

Make sure you use the ‘line out’ instead of the ‘pre amp out’ because the latter is controlled by the volume knob.

1 Like

Thanks K10, that makes sense.

Also, I’m contemplating a Naim Nap 250 DR to partner the 272. It seems to come with a DIN lead to link them together. Does it only need that? I’m assuming it does as I can’t see any other connectors on the power amp except for speakers.

Lastly, there is a warning not to use 4mm plugs but I only have Kimber Monocle X with bananas. Would I not be able to use this cable?

Sorry if the questions seem basic but I’m only just embarking on my Naim journey…

No worries, the NAP 250 DR is indeed supplied with its own interconnect to connect it to a Naim preamp, because one can also use the NAC-N 272 with a NAP300 DR, there are two identical DIN outputs. No other connections needed …