Connecting Naim Nac-N-272 to Another Make Power Amplifier

Thanks K10. Also could I ask if I wanted to connect my Mark Levinson CD player via it’s XLRs, could I use the Din input on the 272 via a Din to 2 x XLR cable? Thanks again

When I got my NAC-272 and NAP-250 (used from a dealer), they recommended that I used the right-side din (as you are looking at it from the back) as that had been the din that have been used before. I don’t know if that makes any difference whatsoever, but that’s what I continued to use. I also use NACA5 cables with it (again used cables at a cost of about 60% of the “new” price for 4 meters). I don’t mind their stiffness.

Seems likely if your Mark Levinson has XLR outputs they are balanced outputs, and IMO it doesn’t make much sense to use them with Naim gear, since the DIN inputs are unbalanced (like RCA).

Easiest way is an RCA to RCA cable or otherwise RCA to DIN.

Thanks both. I’ve just purchased 2 x 5m NACA5 off eBay with Naim plugs for £180 so probably all set now.

1 Like

You should be all set. The 272/250DR with NACA5 is a great combo.

:sunglasses:

Does the CD player have RCAs as well. Probably best to use those if it has them. Apart from mixing balanced and unbalanced connections it will avoid having to get a non-standard XLR to DIN cable made up.

It does indeed Chris

Hi All, not sure if I should start a new thread or not but I just wanted to know whether a 555DR is a worthwhile upgrade for the 272/250DR combo or would an XPS DR make more sense? Thanks

555DR is just so worth it on a 272 irrespective of power amp.
(OK, maybe it a bit more than really necessary on a NAP200, but it’ll still be an excellent upgrade.)

3 Likes

The 272/555PSDR/250DR is an excellent 3 box combo that punches way above its weight. Some might tell you the 555 is not worth the extra cost of the XPS but I’m not one of them.

4 Likes

@Lightfoot I run my 272 with a 555DR, before that an XPSDR. It was quite a big step up in my system, with more of everything. Bigger sound stage, better bottom end, more control.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback all :+1:

Still early days in the above for me. The advice re the 555PS DR is appreciated plus all the other help thank you. From what I’ve read on here the standard 555 PS is also rated above the XPS DR but what about a 555PS that’s say 12 to 15 years old? Is something of that age going to need a service / recap and how much would that be roughly? Also, how far behind the DR is the standard power supply? Thank you all again.

It costs today 3,2 k GBP :uk: to service and dr a 555 ps. If I am not wrong .

Wow! Must be a dramatic improvement for that. Strange really as the non DR retailed for £7500 and the DR £8500 if I am not wrong? I know a retrofit will always cost more but…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.