Connecting NDX to nDAC

You need a power cable on nDAC for digital sections and the external PSU powers the analogue section. So budget for a PSU and two Powerlines to finish it all off :laughing:

1 Like

i thought I’d read somewhere that they were good for 15 years?

How would I find out about service history?

LOL … I also need some new Naim Fraim [lite] shelves too … They really get you over a barrel right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re in the UK, Naim service dept will have a record of any authorised service work done by them. If unserviced you should plan to have it done after 12 to 15 years - the serial number will tell you its age.

Thank you… It’s a 2013 model…

naim dealer will tell you nDAC doesn’t need serviced unless in case of fault. We DID service ours (2011) but only because we’d no idea of history and didn’t fancy plugging in into a brand new 252….naim replaced caps, everything else was perfect (they reiterated what dealer said, it had no real need of a service).

I think Chris was referring to the 555 non DR when referencing service. That, as a PSU, will have caps which require replacement at the suggested interval so a 555PS from the 2000s would need serviced now.

1 Like

ahh ok… misunderstood… Thanks again…

How does it compare to your previous DACs?

I was hoping I wouldn’t get asked that … :rofl:

I liked the bare NDX and could have continued to live with it. I found the sound to be quite clinical, I guess you could say more HiFi than Analogue ( I’m borrowing terms here from other posts).

The rest of my system is a 282/Hicap + 300DR through Dynaudio Heritage Specials. This a bright and forward combination, which can sometime sound a bit harsh.
The nDac has definitely removed that brightness. I think the sound stage moved out again and is a bit more 3D. The bass is a lot stronger and more detailed. I may need to move speakers a little. Mids seem better too.

Again, to coin a phrase I often see, I think it’s more analogue, warmer.
But it’s only been 2 days and I often find I need time to evaluate the changes I’ve made.

I was listening to the Dee Gees (foo fighters) last night and that didn’t sound good at all… not sure why. But I’ve not heard that through the bare NDX before, so still some experimenting to be done.

PS I stream using Tidal using Sonore end point.

1 Like

I’ve just been listening to The Boss, Darkness on the Edge of Town. A favourite track of mine is ‘racing in the streets’. The nDac definitely has more detail, texture and warmth.

I can almost hear there’s more to be had with the addition of a PSU … So I’ll be keeping an eye out on the second hand market.

I think I’ve found my streaming answer… :blush:

2 Likes

You’re finding the same as most others with nDAC.

More detail, more bass :+1:

What we find with nDAC/252/300 is that music just sounds so “cohesive”, can sit for hours going down the Tidal rabbit hole before you realise the time.

2 Likes

That’s good news.

Please do keep us updated as the system beds down, and if you get a PSU on your Naim DAC.

As regards shelves, Fraim is great, but other makes are available too.

I use Quadraspire for simplicity (with glass shelves under my brains components).

1 Like

We also have Quadraspire (double width, 8 slot rack) since SWMBO poo pooed fraim due to aesthetics.

SV2T.

One thing I did notice when changing from my old Musical Fidelity V-DAC2/V-PSU to the new nDAC/XPS was that the SQ got much “darker” (if I could use that description).

Indeed, at first I wasn’t sure that I liked it.

But you’re still enjoying it to this day, I suspect.

Oh YES!!!

4 Likes

Going back to your original post and the thread title, are you feeding the nDAC from your NDX?

This will give a nice result, but you are missing the joys of the NP800 streaming board that is the core of the new generation Naim streamers.

Despite being in the digital domain, this does have a positive influence on SQ, as well as giving the possibility of streaming from Qobuz, which many forum members use.

I use an ND5XS2/DC1, which works a treat.

(I’m very happy with the Naim app in this system).

1 Like

Yes I’m using the NDX as the feed… I have picked up on the advantages of the ND5XS2 and I guess thats the natural evolution, funds permitting.
I think PSU first then streamer… ??

I like the idea of glass shelves… Any recommendations where to source these from?

I know what you mean… My Naim kit had been in storage (NAC202/NAP200) for about 7 years until I resurrected it last September… Since then I’ve upgrade to previously mentioned components…
I find I can loose whole evenings just listening and going down that Tidal rabbit hole that you mention :smile:

1 Like