Connecting NDX to nDAC

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the advice and support given by everyone here!!

Everything is now set up and I’m looking forward to experiencing what my new kit can do…

3 Likes

The Cisco Catalyst 2960 is a good switch for this purpose.

I use Blue Jean company Cat6a ethernet cables.

2 Likes

Quick update… I continue to be really impressed with the nDac.
Especially now that I’ve added 555PS DR. :rofl:

The PS was an eBay buy and arrived today… it’s still warming up but already showing what it can do coupled to the nDac…

3 Likes

Fabulous!

Takes a while to get warmed up and for the combo to fully gel, but you’re in for a real treat.

We’ve forgotten what is special about ours now. It has just become the norm to lose ourselves in music.

4 Likes

Yes I can see how that would happen. But every time I play an old familiar favourite and I find something new it reminds me how good this kit really is…

I spend hours listening now, rather than watching tv.

So glad I rediscovered my passion for music! … long story. :grinning:

3 Likes

That’s great to hear.

That’s the point of the whole thing.

If you get a chance to post a photo of your system that would be interesting.

3 Likes

Hi JD, will post some pics once the elusive Fraim Lite arrives… I’d ordered additional shelves for my new purchases a couple of weeks ago, only for them to arrive last week and be the wrong colour! Apparently 2 weeks before replacements arrive.
PS and Dac currently sitting on their respective boxes!

1 Like

At least you’re finding the 555 an uplift.

There’s another forum thread running (about NUCs) where someone said they added a 555 to their nDAC and didn’t hear any difference.

One of the strangest things I’ve read on this forum.

1 Like

Agreed. I saw that and couldn’t believe it. Not to doubt the poster but every PS I’ve added I could tell the difference.

that is very odd…

I’ve found that there’s yet another extension of the sound stage, If you listen to Madonna’s ‘Holiday’ it’s almost like someone is playing the bongo’s in the seat next to you :rofl: … But the thing I’ve noticed most is improved resolution. Instruments seem to have a better seperation, vocals are cleaner. I can hear more of the ‘decay’ of a note, drum beat, a voice seems to hang in the air for longer. I guess I’m hearing more of everything…
I have to say that you pay a lot for what could be thought of as some subtle nuances… But at this level it’s what we’re looking for and to me its worth every penny, even more so when there are some great secondhand bargains to be had :blush:

2 Likes

That could be down to the nuc rather than the 555.

Many years ago I used the ndac with a rotel cd player providing the digital signal. Adding an olive xps didn’t improve the sound, or maybe very little.

I’ve recently added a reasonably priced streamer transport to my ndac. The sound quality of the streamer and dac without a PSU is different class compared to the rotel/ndac/xps.

In a recent thread people seemed to have a problem with somebody being adamant that spending a large amount on a streamer was the way to go. I personally don’t disbelieve that idea, the quality of the streamer must define the quality of the sound, fantastic or rubbish. Or fair to middling.

1 Like

We tried a few digital sources into our nDAC. Better quality sources sound better. Simples.

So I set out to buy an ND5XS2, but SWMBO wanted a remote so we ended up with NDX2 as a transport.

Happy wife, happy life :smile:

I’m not too displeased as it sounds fabulous into the nDAC.

Our PI with good quality digital SPDIF hat is used to provide Tidal Connect to SuperUniti. It is good enough for that.

2 Likes

Indeed! I’m very pleased with my ND5XS2 into my bare nDAC

4 Likes

I agree it sounds great… adding the PSU changes things, but I wouldn’t call it night and day. It’s more subtle, in my system anyway.

1 Like

Another quick update…

My pre loved Powerline arrived today and has now found a new home on the nDac. I can’t really put my finger on it but it’s yet another improvement.

I’m really pleased with the sound that I now have, I don’t feel the need to do much else for a while, with the possible exception adding power lines to my remaining kit.

Happy days…

3 Likes

Powerlines are something we just picked up when they became available on auction sites for not silly money, over a period of time. Somewhat of a waiting game.

All ours (apart from the one which came boxed with 555) were secured in as new condition for significant discount on RRP.

Very worthwhile.

5 Likes

Took me well over a year to find all my 2nd hand powerlines. Well worth it for sure.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.