Connecting NDX2 to CD555PS

I thought I would give it a go on my own to connect my ndx2 to a 555ps but there was a loud pop from the ndx2 when I pushed the Burndy cable in so now the on button just flashes. I had turned off the amp and pre amp and neither was the 555PS on but after this poppig sound i realised that I hadn’t turned the ndx2 off and it was on stand by light although amps were off. It happened when I connected the Burndy cable up. Now the NDX2 is coming on and I can upload a track but there is no sound it sounds as dead as a door mail but everything lights up.

If you are using the 555PS, you should have no power lead in the NDX2 and the blanking plug needs to be inserted on the NDX2. I’m assuming you have the correct XPS Burndy as well?

1 Like

No I did not remove the power lead from the ndx2.
It is the Burndy cable that came with the cd555ps so I am not sure what type it is. I did look for instructions and the manual was not very clear on what to do. I also looked on YouTube and google but did not find anything on how to connect the ndx2 to the 555

1 Like

Is the link/blanking plug inserted on your NDX2? If it’s a single Burndy, it should be the right one.

1 Like

I am not sure what that means but all I did was remove the plug from ndx2 and replaced it with the burndy that I linked to the 555ps

Sorry, I’ve given you the wrong advice there. The link plug is when you are not connecting the Burndy.

I’d power off everything and unplug from the power points. Then remove and reinsert the Burndy, then power up again.

1 Like

Must the Ndx2‘s own power supply be removed or connected?

But even without using the 555 as I put it back to original set up and I have no sound . All lights snd displays are on but it sounds dead as a door nail

Check the interconnect to the preamp. Also check the output is set to the interconnect you are using on the NDX2 - DIN or RCA. Do this with the app.

1 Like

Not connected; if powered by an external power supply, then it’s 100% powered by that.

1 Like

@Chas

When you power your NDX2 with an external power supply, remove the power cord from the NDX2 and use it to power the 555PS. Then, remove the link plug from your NDX2 and use that port to connect to the 555PS, using the Burndy cable. Can you post a picture with the cable’s connectors (the pin out), se we can be sure you’re using the correct cable?

Make sure you select the correct input when you start playing music, go from CD to AUX2 just to make sure.

1 Like

I would strongly advise contacting Naim support before experimenting further. You say you used the burndy that came with the 555 PS but it doesn’t come with one as standard. (If you bought the 555 PS from a dealer for use with the NDX2 then they will have supplied the correct burndy but may have charged for it.) Burndys for the 555 PS are acquired depending on use. For example neither of the burndys I was using to connect the 555 PS to my CD 555 were suitable for connecting the PS to an NDX2. The correct burndy is the S-XPS and it should be labelled as such.

3 Likes

The ndx2 must not have the power lead inserted in the usual place. The only power supply comes from the 555 or xps. Id check the fuse in the 555 first. Id expect this has failed and needs changing.

1 Like

You probably need to use the app to switch output to din or phono. The Burndy must be an S-XPS. Don’t connect the NDX2 to the mains when it’s connected to a 555PS, or indeed to an XPS.

@Richard.Dane - Richard, this seems to be a good example of how the new Naim website fails to provide basic information about using the equipment. As far as I can see, there is no information relating to the 555PS that describes how it should be connected. The Quick Start Guide for the NDX2 has some diagrams, including how to connect an XPSDR, but nothing about the 555 PS. In general, there seems to be nothing remotely as comprehensive as used to be in the printed manuals. The lack of any authoritative reference point online must make for more work for the dealers and Naim support.

1 Like

Clive, I agree. The lack of a proper manual for the NDX2 has been a long-term gripe from many here. The old NDX manual was much better and of course illustrates the PS connection and makes clear that the S-XPS should be used for the 555PS;

2 Likes

The printed manual does not provide much clarity either. I will call support this morning I hope nothing is badly damaged but as I am not getting sound I am not sure what I have done.

From what you describe, something has broken in the NDX2, so contacting Naim Support or your Naim Dealer is the right thing to do.

1 Like

It pains me to ‘defend’ Naim’s Quick Start Guide (*) for the NDX2.

But - it does cover the connection of an external PS quite well, IMO.

• Use an S-XPS Burndy
  • Disconnect NDX2 from Mains
  • Disconnect the streamer before connecting the external PS

( * - a QSG suggests to me that there is a proper Manual as well)

That’s not the correct Burndy. You need an S-XPS version, which has a hard plastic sheath, rather than the braid. Hopefully getting the right Burndy will fix things, which you won’t know until you try one.

2 Likes

It doesn’t look like the correct burndy. It should have 11 connection points. Here’s a couple of photos.

1 Like