Connecting passive pre and NAP 500

I played briefly with an Allegri into my 500 while my 552 was looked at. I was just feeding it directly from my Ndac. It did exactly what I was told it would do and made everything sound a bit flat and two dimensional. I sent it back after a couple of days a little bit disappointed.

Thank you for your experiences Geko, this is what I am concerned about, although I am not going to be comparing this with a 552. I wonder why some get on with it, from what I have read Martin Colloms is a long time user of the Allegri with Naim amplification.

I suppose you can only try these things out for oneself.

Jason Kennedy is also a fan of the allegri. He published a review of the 300DR that was made with it so that little pre must be doing something right. Maybe lack of coloration is a plus for the review process.

1 Like

Remember that you will also need to have suitable RCA to XLR cables made up, as these are unlikely to be available as a stock item for demo.

Thanks Chris, Yes I have been there before, dealer sets up demo then, usually on the day tells me he hasn’t got the necessary cables or better still, “it isn’t possible sir”. I have a collection of such cables which I bring with me for such occasions!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.