Connecting Single REL 510 to Nova PE (again sorry!)

If both channels are carrying the same signal (ie if sub bass is mastered mono) I think I would expect the net result to be 3dB higher output from the sub. Whether that audibly affects ‘sound quality’ will depend on level and low pass filter settings on the sub, and whether there is actually any sub bass content in whatever you are playing…

Rel makes a premium high-level cable it calls the Bassline Blue. They offer a special Naim variant that features stacking banana plugs that would connect to the back of your Nova. In a single subwoofer setup, you connect the hot (red) wire from both channels and a ground from either channel. It’s a bit pricey, but is probably your best bet for sound quality.

Many thanks I’ve looked on their website for the Naim variant but they all seem to have spade connectors?

I’ve noticed that designacable offer a version on their website at half the cost of the Bassline cable, with the stackable banana cables. I’m just wondering if I’d get ‘half’ the quality by paying for these replica cables?

Most retailers, in my experience do not offer a different image for the Naim variant. I don’t have experience with designacable, but it seems they have a good reputation. I wouldn’t expect performance to be “half”, the relationship between performance and cost in audio is rarely linear.

I bought a REL s510 last year, it was extremely helpful speaking to REL, who double checked with Naim. As a result Chord made a Bassline Blue cable for my setup.

The standard Bassline Blue is terminated with spades, but the special Naim version of it is terminated with stacking bananas. Here’s what REL says on their own website,

What’s In a NAIM? These same benefits are available to most NAIM owners—especially the older, classic models. These units feature an unusual output impedance that is quite complex. REL worked closely with NAIM engineers to model this behavior and arrived at a special circuit built into each NAIM cable that replicates this impedance so that it is safe to run Bassline Blue on early NAIMs. We even sourced a wonderful stackable banana plug that makes it so easy to use the cables, just plug them in to NAIM’s flush-mounted chassis banana sockets and then plug your speaker cables directly into the rear of our stackable banana plug.

UPDATE

Thank you all for your really helpful advice here, what an amazing bunch you are!!!

Following advice given I contacted Naim Customer Services, and they have confirmed that the way they’d recommend for best sound quality is connecting to the Nova PE is via the speakers. They have confirmed this won’t damage the unit either despite it being a different type of amp

2 Likes

Forgive me for going slightly off topic, I’ve looked at your setup with interest. I was wondering how you find your Rega 8 TT setup through your PE? I’m thinking of doing the same and there doesn’t seem to be too many PE owners on here as yet…

Why not start a PE thread
Already a couple tho

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.