Connection - swich or modem?

Connection of the UNITISERVE AND STREAMER NAIM ND5 XS2. which according to the experts is the best solution to listen to music in UPnP from NAS Unit service? A or B?

I’m no expert but B looks the most sensible…

I’m assuming by modem - you mean modem and wireless router ?

Only one answer if you do have a choice - B
Ethernet%20Basic%20with%20Switch

2 Likes

Mike, do you have a Cisco Catalyst or a normal swicht gigabite? In my view I will use the Catalyst 2960 only for Unitiserve and ND5xs2. I will use the gigabite TP-Link only for the components of the home PC. My problem is that I have modems, Nas and Unitiserve reserves in a studio and HiFi in the living room. If I leave everything this way I will have to pass a long ethernet cable qed into the walls to get from the studio to the living room …

The answer may depend on the quality of the switch ports built into your modem/router. I would try this first and see if it works. You can always test your option B later to see if it improves anything.

The modem is a Telecom Italia business with 4 gigabit ports

No I don’t have a Catalyst, they are physically too large for my installation & to install one would require changes that I am not prepared to do at the moment.
I use a Cisco SG110D which is a normal unmanaged 10Ge switch,

Thank

I really don’t know what swich means swicht gestito or no managed. I don’t even know if I need

A managed switch means it can be programmed to do something specific on the LAN. This would be used on a larger & more complex installation than the very small basic installs that we have in our homes & hifi. .
An un-managed switch cannot be programmed but does have internal software that “learns” who it’s connected to & directs the data streams between those connections.

A managed switch is one with a control interface, that you can use for various configurations, diagnostics, security, status reporting etc. They vary in size from very small 8 port devices to extremely large devices. Some managed switches are highly configurable and customisable, others less so.

An un managed switch has no control interface/portal… it simply performs a, typically rather basic and minimalistic, Ethernet switching function. These tend to be smaller and cheaper devices. They are used in casual non resilient and non demanding small home / office networks.

Unless you have specific requirements then a cheap unmanaged switch will be fine for your home network. Because un managed switches only typically support a basic functionality, they are often immune to consumer network software issues, at the expense of efficiency and adding processing load to connected hosts. Therefore you might find cheap unmanaged switches are more resilient to consumer products/software of varying quality or software errors.

These days the chipsets built into broadband router switches are very capable, and you may find the typically four switch ports on your broadband router fine. (In the early days of broadband routers, especially ISP provided devices, this often wasn’t the case, but the typical home is far more demanding now with the internet so not so much an issue). If layout and physical wiring constraints apply, then having a separate additional remote un managed switch can be preferable.

Technically in your diagram B or A is absolutely fine… best choose the option that requires the least cabling.

:+1:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.