Continuing BBC Internet Radio Issue?

Thank you Canaryfan. I too suspect it is at the BBC end but I thought it worth reporting to show that it was not an isolated incident. For the record I am in Oxfordshire so presumably a different set of servers and it has only started recently.

I suspect the reboot is something else entirely.

I suffered with the loss of BBC radion stations on my Muso QB on 05-08-2020. I could receive other stations so I knew it was not an ISP or LAN issue. Today, 06-08-2020 the BBC stations have returned. I am in Leicestershire.

Hello Roger,

My issue is a bit different to yours in that I can receive all the BBC stations but they keep dropping out at random times, sometimes quite frequently over a short period of time.

Naim have heard from BBC engineering who are currently blaming my ISP (BT) for not having enough traffic capacity in my area (Cornwall). Perhaps is will be solved when the A30 is duelled?

Naim are not convinced by the BBC explanation & are shortly to obtain further information from me using Wireshark software. I only very vaguely understand the technical theory’s & explanations so I am now entirely in their hands.

I will report back when there is more to tell.

As already stated I am totally out of my technical depth here but it does seem possible your BBC feed has suffered a worse version of the lack of ISP capacity than that which I may be experiencing & that the ISP may have boosted network capacity in your area.

This is of course all supposition until I can supply Naim with the network data that Wireshark supplies & Naim tell me how to do it!

Much to their credit it is Naim that are keener to get to the bottom of my problem than I am. I don’t listen to BBC internet radio that much & have plenty of reliable BBC access via DAB & Freeview when I need it.

I too am still having periodic dropouts. They last only a second or two and are less frequent than they were (at the moment anyway) but they are nevertheless still happening.

My dropouts are nearly all permanent until I switch to a non-BBC broadcast & then back to the station I was listening to.

This usually works 1st time but occasionally I will need to do it 2 or 3 times.

Very occasionally the dropout will last for a few seconds & then re-connect with no intervention from me.

Ah - that is a lot worse. Perhaps a different issue.

This is the reply I received from the BBC.
I do wonder if they actually read the information I out on their “Contact Form” on their web site.
"Hello there, Roger.

Thanks for getting in contact with BBC Sounds Support.

I’m sorry to hear that you have been experiencing some problems with your internet radio when trying to listen to BBC radio.

We make every attempt to provide manufacturers with information that allows them to offer BBC Radio services to their customers.

Support for these devices is the responsibility of the manufacturer, as they control what content is offered on the device and how to access it.

If you’re not able to resolve the problem yourself, you’ll need to contact your manufacturer’s support team.

However, if you’re having problems playing live programmes or podcasts on your internet radio device, try the following steps:

Step 1: Restart the device.

Step 2: Check with your manufacturer whether a software update is available for your internet radio device.

I hope that this will help.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

All the best,

Steven Elliott

BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds Support Team "

The fact that I could not receive any BBC Radio stations on either my Muso Qb or my ND5XS seems to have not been picked up on.

Sounds like a fairly stock reply that they have not taken seriously & that they don’t really care anyway.

I’m hoping that as it is Naim that have taken the issue up with them that they will investigate a bit more thoroughly.

They have established to both their & my satisfaction that the problem is not with the receiving equipment & therefore must lie elsewhere, either with the BBC or the ISP.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.