Contrarian view on Naims entry-level gear

Choice is good!

Nait5si and XP5 XS sounds awesome through a pair of Emit M10s. It’s my second system and I enjoy it everyday.

1 Like

Having owned both much more expensive Naim kit and also a CD3 and Nait 3 (also Nait 5i) I have to agree that the entry-level stuff is simply superb and is in no way lacking in musical enjoyment. I do sometimes very seriously wonder why I ever bothered to go further and if I ever really fundamentally improved on the musical pleasure from that basic system.

5 Likes

Meant ND5 XS.

1 Like

Nait5si with Neat Motive SX2 Speakers feed by a raspberry pi with a allo digione signature into an Exposure DAC, this is the best set up i have ever owned and in no rush to change.

1 Like

I really love the old Uniti range… my SuperUniti and UQ2 won’t be going anywhere soon.

2 Likes

I had a flat capped CD5 and Nait 5 and it was heaven. I moved up to a 202, 200 and NDX and can honestly say that for some albums, I preferred the former. Less detailed but warmer and a more relaxing listen. I don’t have room for a second system, but couldn’t bring myself to sell my 5 series stuff so now my dad has it. He loves it too. Problem is that the laser is going and do I spend £600+ on a CD5 service for a 20 year old CDP? (That’s if Naim can even service it?)…

3 Likes

My understanding is that mechs are no longer available. Electronics may be serviceable.

The mech in my old CD5 developed a fault and was replaced in 2006 (purchased in 2001). That 2006 mech is still going strong, in a friend’s system.

Note: Probably shouldn’t have said that…. Don’t want to jinx it.

I’ve briefly listened to the Nait XS in my system many years ago. I find it very mediocre. I have not listened to the Nait 5i or the latest 5SI and have recently retired from upgrades since last year. Nevertheless, if I were to consider a Naim integrated in the future, it would be a Nait 5si or whatever entry level model they come up with. I’ll skip the Nait XS3 or XS4.

Maybe that’s because the original Nait 5 or the xs range are more about refinement and the I or si about power or muscle. The first work only nice with matching speakers which means easy to drive.

1 Like

Very likely. The Nait XS sounded rather refined but has a soft and lush presentation with rounded edges. The leading edge of notes was smoothened and as a result fine detail sounded smeared with reduced clarity. The matching speakers may have played a role in this experience. The 202/200 resolved this and brought focus and detail to the sound.

The Nait XS was the first Naim amp I experienced more than a decade ago when I compared it to the Rega Elicit mk2 which I own during that time. My intention was to replace the Elicit with a Naim. Unfortunately I found both amps to sound very much alike with minor differences between them back then.

2 Likes

That certainly wasn’t my experience - my speakers were (still are) PMC 20.23s.

Nor mine. Nait XS was my first Naim amp. I actually went to the dealer to buy a Mk1 Uniti after reading an enthusiastic review. But after a comparative audition with CD5XS/Nait XS I knew I had to take a bigger hit on the wallet and go with the XS gear. Mediocre it most certainly wasn’t.

Roger

1 Like

I guess I was listening more to the speaker than the amp when describing on the sound.

I used the Nait XS on Harbeth SHL5. In a span of a year, I tried 7 amp combinations of integrated and pre/power in an attempt to salvage the Harbeth, and where the Nait XS and few others failed, the 202/200 succeeded. I stayed with the 202/200 for 7 years before upgrading to the 282/250DR which I still own now, together with the Harbeth now SHL5+.

1 Like

I apologise if I have offended anyone with my posts. It’s just my opinion and experience. I mentioned the Nait XS sounded mediocre as in my mind (and opinion), there are other amps out there that may deliver an almost similar sound or performance as the Nait XS. However, not many will sound like the 282/250DR. The tuning of the amp is rather unique. It sounds considerably exuberant.

I have a Nait 5i with a Marantz CD player and PSB speakers in a second system. While it is not at the level of my main rig, it never fails to produce excellent music, just on a smaller scale. Definitely punches above its weight class imo.

1 Like

When I was looking for my first serious hifi back in around 2000, I was listening to Arcam, Cyrus and Roksan. I was going to settle on the Roksan (Kandy, I think) when the dealer suggested having a listen to a Nait 5 with CD5. I’d never heard of Naim before but was totally blown away. I bought them, along with a pair of Neat Mystique II floorstanders, on the spot.

I’ve been through a couple of iterations since then but have never spent “serious” money. I have to say though, that none have been as exciting as when I first heard the entry level system described above.

I’m on a Supernait 2 at the moment, with Bluesound Node 2021, and saving to upgrade the steaming side. Trying to get back to the PRaT of the original system.

2 Likes

My 2001-vintage CD5 was recently fitted with an new laser mechanism and serviced by Naim for £350, which might be worth feeding into your decision.

2 Likes

Thanks. I guess this was done before the new price hike in Naim repair and service this year. Think it would be £650 now. I am tempted if they have the parts? I hate throwing things away, especially if you can fix instead of buy new.
On a separate note, I wonder if Naim are tracking their carbon budget? If they assume all systems are serviced and repaired for at least say 40years, then the life cycle footprint would be low compared to other HiFi manufactures?

3 Likes

If nothing else this might at least help to offset the huge amount of copper they use!