Contrarian view on Naims entry-level gear

Some other manufacturers maybe, but many amps last for decades, and certainly some other manufacturers do service amps. I had a Musical Fidelity P270 serviced at about 25 years old, which included replacing some caps (interestingly not the reservoir caps, which apparently were found to be still satisfactory) And Bryston have a 20 year warranty on their amps (and other electronics).

I read on this forum that a new puck might work, which Iv just bought and it has. All CDs are now playing fine. That just saved me a few pennies! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing…I’ve been looking at the same headphone amp ; in the meantime I’ve pressed into service the same 1986 Cyrus amp I’ve had since new to do the same.

Very happy with the result, but will likely go with the BD ensemble eventually.

The pucks wear out, the swing door mechanism from Naim seems a better long term idea than the sliding and opening mechanism favoured by many.

A tip , when the puck starts to go , squeeze the nipples on the bottom ( ooh Matron) and when they are back to their original position the puck will work fine.

If you can get an ND5XS2 (and perhaps an nDAC too) you should make big strides towards that sound you are after.

2 Likes

The BD A20 is no longer being made - so if you can get a new one I’d go for it now.
I got an ex-demo model that cost me less than most on ebay

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.