Core and gaining access to Rip folder

Hi
Could you inform me on do’s & don’ts regarding the use of windows laptop, gaining access to the Core CD rip folder to transfer music albums onto a micro SD card.
Many Thanks

Firstly, what format are your rips? WAV or FLAC?
If WAV, you may have limited readability of the meta data of the rips.
Otherwise, simply copy and paste the relevant music onto the SD card.
DO NOT attempt to move the files, change/rename or otherwise interfere with the files structure on the Core.

Thanks Blythe for information, have not attempted yet, but could I also right click on an album and “send” it to the SD? (for information the files will be Flac)

I’m not familiar with Windows (Mac for over 10 years), so I’d be careful, just in case it literally moves the file to a new location, rather than copying.
If you know that it only copies rather than moving the files using that command, then go for it.

As long as these files are in the downloads folder it’s safe to manage them on a computer, edit metadata, alter folder structure etc.
For CD rips in the Music folder you can copy them if you want copies to use on other devices, but that’s all.

I’ve tried copying my Core CD ripped folder to Synology NAS drive as a back up, and to an SD card, but the album covers and metadata do not copy which is very frustrating. Local Naim product retailer has spent weeks trying to solve this but with no success. Naim is no help so recommended solution is to switch to Innuos.[quote=“ChrisSU, post:5, topic:28624, full:true”]
As long as these files are in the downloads folder it’s safe to manage them on a computer, edit metadata, alter folder structure etc.
For CD rips in the Music folder you can copy them if you want copies to use on other devices, but that’s all.
[/quote]

I think part of the problem is that people tend to save their CD rips as WAV. On the 1st gen Naim streamers this was thought by many to sound slightly better. On the 1st gen Naim ripper/servers you could convert between WAV and FLAC during rippining, or at any time afterwards. Converting to FLAC was a simple way to store metadata in a universally accessible form. Bizarrely Naim removed the option to convert WAV to FLAC on the Core. I suspect this would have been the solution to your problem.

I actually ripped all CDs as FLAC but still ran into the metadata transfer problem. It is very disappointing that Naim haven’t come up with a fix for this.

The album covers and metadata do copy of course but the way that Naim store them means that they don’t work on non-Naim streamers. Naim can’t “fix” this because it’s fundamental to the way that all Naim servers and streamers work and it’s been done that way because Naim thinks it gives higher sound quality that way, at least on legacy streamers.

I have never done this, but I believe SongKong software can convert the copied albums to fix the problem. You need the SongKong version for Melco I seem to recall. No doubt someone else can confirm.

Hi David
Thank you for your clear message concerning album covers & metadata. Its a shame Naim do not make this clear. I expect a number of people have expected that CD’s ripped, will also be available to utilise on other systems eg. DAP’s with the metadata/covers intact . Has this issue come up before? I remember a quote about the benefit of storing in Flac due to the metadata transfer aspects. I hope someone will come up with experience of using this additional SongKong program to sort copied files. This revelation may have affected my thought process for purchasing a DAP.

Have you read through the Core Help FAQ?

This may be of particular help;

Yes it comes up constantly. But it’s kind of built in, so not much Naim can do about it.

You can easily Google about SongKong for Melco but I think it’s also covered in the posting that Richard linked to.

There is no reason why Naim can’t change the way the software works, so that it rips to flac by default and embeds full metadata and cover art. It’s only because they stick to this anachronistic ripping methodology that users continue to come up against these unnecessary obstacles. Other ripping software such as dbpoweramp can produce bit perfect rips with full metadata, which are in no way inferior to Naim rips. Naim rips aren’t better, they are just different, and not in a good way.

1 Like

That is a typical non-engineer response Nigel! It’s the legacy of servers, streamers and backups going backwards that’s the issue, not whether they could make a Core rip to flac by default and/or a Core rip to a version of Wav with metadata embedded.

Of course they could change the Core going forwards but it would potentially leave a lot of Naim kit behind. It’s more complicated than you make it sound.

Where there’s a will there’s a way.

My Core rips are in WAV and the artwork was not showing up on my laptop and portable music player for my car. The version of Song Kong described by David and others fixed this. Files will remain in WAV with this program but now with the artwork showing in all venues,

David
I’ve read through the post, but I am trying to get my head around, with regard to FLAC rips.
According to Forum member “L” - Naim WAV rips store the metadata in a file named “meta.naim” under the album folder.
It looks as though this is repeated for FLAC rips as well, even though metadata is supposed to be already embedded in the Album File?
So why has KiwiJohn had problems with FLAC metadata transfer - surely if this data is embedded it is available for other devices eg. DAP? Or is there then a conflict with the meta.naim folder and embedded metadata file, leading to issues?

I think the answer to that is that while downloaded FLACs will contain metadata, Naim always handles metadata in the same way regardless of format. So any changes you make to FLAC metadata or cover art in a Naim server will be stored in a file/files alongside the rips, as with a WAV.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.