Core backup for Unitiserve?

I’m considering to swap my Core for a Unitiserve. Would it be possible to use the Core backup external harddisk to move my ripped music onto the Unitiserve? I’d be very grateful for any advice.
Cheers, Hansi

Hi, I don’t know if the Unitiserve will be able to recognise the Core backup and restore from it. However, you can certainly copy the files to the Unitiserve by opening them on a computer. If you do this, put them all in the Downloads folder, not the Music folder.

Why would you want to have a Unitiserve rather than a Core? There are possibly some somewhat geeky reasons, but the Unitiserve is beyond end of life and quite unreliable. And it uses SMB1 which is deprecated by pretty well everyone now, so talking to a Unitiserve downloads folder from a PC or Mac is tricky. Whereas the Core is a current model and pretty reliable. It uses Samba and pretty much anything should be able to talk to the downloads folder.

If the Unitiserve hard disc fails, you have to send the whole thing to the factory for an expensive repair. If the Core hard disc fails, you can install a new one yourself in a few minutes.

Best

David

1 Like

Thank you for this hint. When I have the Unitiserve, I’ll try it.

Thank you, your answer is most helpful. The Unitiserve can do Internetradio, which the Core can’t. That’s why I’m thinking of swapping. But what you say makes me think again.

1 Like

Internet radio is something Unitiserve can do which Core can’t but it’s not the most modern implementation, so for instance can’t do the new flac HD stations. But really I think it would be better to go for a modern internet radio implementation, like a pre-owned ND5 XS2. Or even a pre-owned ND5 XS (which won’t do the flac stations but is otherwise good).

Best

David

I have had both.
The Core is much more reliable.
I really wouldn’t advise swapping it for the Unitiserve.

1 Like

Not sure I would agree with that after 7 years of reliable service from my Unitiserve.

Personally I would keep my Unitiserve rather than getting a Core, which has a more limited range of functions. If my US dies I will probably go for a Zen Mini with a far greater range of functions for half the price.
David does have a point about the age related limitations of the US, although in my personal opinion he has oversatated them somewhat. Nevertheless you should think carefully about buying something of that age.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.