Core network transfer speed

Good detective work!

This might be a rabbit hole but switches have a total upper throughput limit. If you are testing while others are streaming Netflix etc. it will leave a smaller chunk of the pie. Also, does the Cisco have configurable ports? They should be set to auto negotiation for speed and duplex. If they aren’t configurable then almost certainly they are correctly set.

you might also want to check for packet loss. A ping test for 60 seconds with a packet size of 1450 should help rule that out.

The CISCO switch port already is default config, auto negotiation for speed and duplex. There has not packet loss, I had do the ping test from the CISCO 2960 to the CORE. (e.g. 10000 packet , 1500 and 9000 packet size.

I don’t believe the Core uses jumbo frames. So packets of 9000 bytes would require segment reassembly and that’s slow. Jumbo frames is always a bad idea unless every hop in the chain supports it and has it enabled.

Do your NAS and Mac host use jumbo frames? If so, you might find an MTU of 1500 from the source works better. It’s just a thought though and one I doubt because it wouldn’t greatly affect traffic in the other direction.

@feeling_zen No, I don’t use jumbo frame in my environment.

@feeling_zen

I tried connect the CORE to the main router, the speed resume normal, both direction have 40MB.

But it is not reasonable why the CORE connect to the network switch will has this impact.

I can confirm all my network equipment and cable are normal because they are on the same network and tested many times.

Sorry for dumb questions but you are certain all the ports on the switch are gig, I had a Cisco switch back in the day where only four were.

In any case it seems the switch is the issue I suggest you purchase a cheap on from Amazon they are only a few quid see how it behaves

Also are you getting 40megs all over the network? Does the core have a gig connection?

Yes, confirm all the port is Giga and Core connect the port also shown giga in command mode.

Swap the switch it, its the next logical step, I am guessing the switch is old?

Edit to add, yes introduced in 2005 and ended in 2012 so unless the very last one sold it may well be creaking, contrary to popular belief electronics dont go on forever.

WS-C2960L-8TS-LL, i think it is not too old and my synology NAS can run 1Gb full speed in this switch.

Well I am out of ideas, but would reiterate for like 15 quid you can get a gigabit switch on amazon, could be worth a purchase just to be sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.