Core - what size HD?

Approx how many CDs could I get on 2TB HD?What brands/versions are recommended these days? Thanks

The maximum of a single cd is 650mb. 2tb is therefore the equivalent of over 3000 cd albums. If you consider most albums don’t use the full capacity, you’d probably get closer to 4000 albums. And that’s in wav format, if using flac then double it.
Western digital red drives are good for nas storage.

1 Like

If you store in FLAC a CD will average under half a GB which is quite a lot less than WAV.
Remember that a disc that is completely full will not work, and allow maybe 10% empty capacity.

1 Like

Yes Chris is right about needing some empty space on the Core. Once it’s 90% full the Core can get a bit weird in its operation (things not working properly I mean).

I would highly recommend SSD rather than HDD. The HDD spins 24/7 unless the Core is put into Deep Sleep mode, so it’s not silent and the disc is going to wear. The Samsung 870 EVO is the currently most popular internal SSD. If I really wanted a HDD, then personally I would go for a Seagate IronWolf rather than a WD Red.

2 Likes

Many thanks for replies. Looks like a 1TB HD will be more than enough for my CD collection. SSD makes sense to my engineering mind.

For the cost difference maybe a 2TB… :thinking:

1 Like

Yes i would go for the 2tb as you never get all of-the 1tb……it is always less and as mentioned earlier the Core prefers some space headroom.

2 Likes

Strange that the drive spins constantly, I wonder why?

There seems to be several variants of the Samsung EVO 870 2tb SSD on Amazon. Can you point me in the right direction as to which one is the most appropriate? thanks

This one: asin code B08PC5ZYB1

1 Like

This is the one I have in my Core. It’s the middle one in this screen shot £153.43

1 Like

Following advice I also use Samsung 2tb SSD in my core and another as a portable backup. I am in process of ripping my 2000ish library.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.