Cosmetic defect

Cosmetic things like this are always a very personal matter.

It’s annoying, but personally if it were mine, and that’s the only damage on a used unit then I would probably leave well alone and just get it attended to on the next service. You could try a black marker - even if not perfect it will be less obvious than it is now.

If it were a new unit I would return it to the dealer - no question. If by any chance you did purchase it through a dealer then I would likewise return it for him to deal with it unless of course it was pointed out to you prior to purchase.

1 Like

For reasons which escape me, when being pictured for sale, the units are often stacked which, given the weight of them isn’t ideal IMV. And a rubber foot marking can look like a dull patch on the casework IME.

I subscribe to the view the mark was created post-new, as these units can be tricky to handle, especially when racking.

Good point. Some items are extremely heavy and often I’ve found manouvering them to be problematic. Sometimes one reaches a pont where it’s an immediate choice between possible cosmetic damage to the unit or damage to oneself!

Thanks Richard!

yep you may be right there, and minimal application would also make it less obvious.

1 Like

Less is more. Work in stages. Car polish may help blending in.

My XPS2 now looks almost right - but thats after maybe 5 attempts or more… :astonished:

AFAIK, a Classic case is painted. Whereas a 500 Series is anodized black. So black marker might be best for a 500 case.

Indeed – and you have to handle this kit with great care, ideally removing rings and watches, as these can easily get caught on the sharp edges of the casework.

I’d usually advocate wearing gloves, but IME these can reduce grip and needed feel to place the kit. I’d also warn against the sticky-spotted builders’ gloves, as the ‘sticky’ (plasticy stuff?) can get left behind.

I’ve looked at various attempts to address a kit flaw over the years, from paint to black felt pen, and bearing out @IanRobertM 's experience, it can take a lot of effort and tries to get it near-right, such that I’d rather leave these things as they are – once the kit is racked, the marks are often not noticeable and, in my place, often covered by the infamous pixie dust.

3 Likes

Exactly. As long as the damage is not ‘obvious’ - so no bare shiny silver Aluminium showing or obvious scratches, which can be masked by black pen or black paint easily, then leave as is.

I did look into re-casing my XPS, but the cost was significant (£400+ ??), so it was not for me… :expressionless:

YMMV, etc. :crazy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.