Covering up the TV screen

What’s wrong in her knees… :rofl:maybe she could sound better

Ivor was writing when we were all still watching CRT TV’s - I wonder if the same applies to LCD.

Academic point in my case - the hifi has to be in the same room and it provides high quality sound for the TV via a mini-jack from the headphone socket on the TV to a DIN input in the NAC52.

3 Likes

2 Likes

My tv is on my left. Nothing between the speakers in front of the sofa.

1 Like

It was the presence of a further set of speakers in the room which Ivor objected to. That hasn’t changed with the move from CRT.

Link please? Very tasteful. :wink:

OK so I just did a comparison, first using “Nuclear Burn” by Brand X from the album “Unorthodox Behaviour”. Lots of percussive detail under long guitar notes, staccato bass guitar runs and background sound effects. Following the cover-up, everything was more detailed, rhythmic, precisely sound-staged and so on. You know, all the stuff we’re usually looking for.

Solo piano (“Fur Elise” - Eric Satie) much more “in the room”, all physical details - changes in fingering, release of foot pedals and so on - completely clear. Longer note decay.

I used a very thin quilt. The difference was instantly apparent. It was the same level of improvement that I got from lowering the equipment stand from one six-level Isoblue to a pair of side-by-side three-level stands to get the tower out of the way of the emission from the speakers.

I should point out however, that the 55" wall screen is curved. This may contribute to reflected sound waves in the room more than a flat screen would…

Patterned cloth covering now on order.

Exciting photo when it’s up… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In the meantime…

2 Likes

Mike we are villains and liers for even daring to mention that we do this…have you not read the thread!!

Seriously mate…just enjoy the better sound stage and keep quiet
That’s what I’m going to do from now on

1 Like

You need most probably an audiophile blanket with a proper run in period :blush:

My speakers face a gert big mirror at the end of the room and a TV next to it…I tried covering them with some success…but I’m sayin’ nothin’… :shushing_face:

Only some success? So you didn’t manage to cover them completely? Try a bigger quilt, or have an assistant to help you… :smile:

1 Like

“My speakers face a great big mirror at the end of the room and a TV next to it…I tried covering them with some success…but I’m sayin’ nothin’”… :shushing_face:

Yes keep it on the downlow

Don’t want people thinking were nuts…after all …a mod that has some scientific merit AND costs nothing…no place for that in hi-fi

2 Likes

Similarly the TV in my room is on the side wall. I’ve tried listening with and without the TV in place and there is surely a difference in sound presentation. As a matter of fact, I find the sound quality to be better with the TV in place, more life and extended treble. Without the TV, the sound is duller.

Perhaps I’ll try covering the TV with a thick towel just to see how it will sound. If it sounds good, I’ll look for some nice fabric for a more long-term solution. My TV is 55".

You must have long speaker cables with that arrangement.

2 X 6 m. A bit long yes.

6m is not especially long in Naim system terms, probably about average.

Yes, but expensive If I want one day to have Superlumina or other speakers cables in that price range.

Maybe we can start summarising the various inputs into this interesting phenomenon of the old plasma telly to the following:

1. Both distance and proximity of speakers on each side of said telly matter in the context of potential diffraction produced by the tweeters ie high frequent sound waves effectively beaming backwards beyond the front baffle edge of the speakers at a reduced amplitude.
  2. To possibly suggest the telly acting as a boom-box on its own accord I find hard to digest.
  3. Nature of back wall ( damping wise) and the distance back to telly screen with the the back wall acting as first reflection is important although the effect of a high frequent reflection will drop in amplitude with increasing distance before it forms a second reflection off the telly. Imagine a short distance and a big glass framed ‘sofa-piece’ of artwork immediately behind your listening position and you will definitely experience a sound wave ( again high frequent) bouncing backwards and forwards screwing up the time domain and disturbing if not ruining the central imaging.
  4. General damping character of room and managing these whether done with heavy furniture or general clutter ( possibly even acoustic treatment :thinking:) will also reduce the overall deleterious effect of said glass screen.
  5. Most importantly ‘personal taste’ and equipment level will be the deciding factor in how we like to hear our music.
    This clearly makes point 1-4 irrelevant.
    So allow me on that note to get me coat… :partying_face: Peter
2 Likes

Interesting how the flat surface of TV screens appears being a problem while listening rooms’ drywalls don’t :thinking:

In fact, glass and drywall have very similar acoustic properties.

–> https://youtu.be/kbAVE4u6y2o

2 Likes