Cricket World Cup

Slightly unfortunate choice of words from the Aussie commentator just now. The incoming throw came in and ricocheted from the runner’s bat, and they ran an overthrow. The commentator said “A lot of batsmen wouldn’t take a run this situation as it feels unethical, but they did” and laughed. As it was Smith and Warner he might have chosen a more tactful word.
Some good bowling in the two games today, not seeing the massive run-fests yet, but some closer matches would be nice. Afghanistan do look like they belong, they’re unlikely to beat the best teams in the competition, but they son’t Look like cannon fodder.

2 Likes

BExcellent match today: one moment I think South Africa will win and next moment I think Bangladesh has it sewn up. At the moment no idea what the result will be. Some very dodgy singles attempted too.

Once again great atmosphere, lots of tigers in the ground.

1 Like

I thought the Bangladesh team had scored ~30/40 runs too many for SA to chase down, given the latter’s batting order relies on one of the top 5 getting a heavy score and borne of how they played against England. Tahir can loop the field as many times as he likes but it’s for nowt if they aren’t winning. They look a team which is a couple of players short at #'s 6/7.

I suppose it shows how blessed England are to have so many ‘all-rounders’ (said in the context of ODI skills) and how SA need a ‘new Kallis’ or 2. The Bangladesh team could be a dark horse in this tournament, especially so if we see some wickets which offer turn although I’m not holding my breath on this given what I’ve seen to date. While Bangladesh shine, sadly Sri Lanka’s golden era in ODIs looks a long way behind them.

Great weather so far - let’s hope it holds today for England v Pakistan at Trent Bridge.

1 Like

Listened on the radio, now watching highlights. Disappointing SA, impressive Tigers.

Think the cups England’s to lose. Good form, good all round team and at home.

Be good to see NZ and the WIs do well.

I think the Aussies could do very well in this tournament if the pace attack gets in to gear and Zampa doesn’t bowl a fruit salad like he did the other day. The batting looks strong, with Warner and Smith in good nick. I thought the Aussies showed great respect to Afghanistan (rightly so) and just wanted to ease their way through the game. Post today, I’m looking forward to Bangladesh/NZ on Wednesday (D/N game - assuming it gets that far!) and Aussies/WI on Thursday (day game in UK), on what could be a ‘tennis ball bounce’ Trent Bridge surface(?)….perhaps not a game for those who favour hands-high cover driving over cross-bat pulls.

I think we’ll just keep our heads down, just do what we need to. We already know the crowd is going to be hostile.

What a nail biter - if only England had bowled and fielded a little better.

2 Likes

if only the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal (Jasper Carrott, c 1980)

3 Likes

Nice to have a close game, and we’ll played Pakistan, held their nerve when Root and Butler looked like taking it away from them.

1 Like

Fine game. Considering Pakistan were beaten heavily in the recent series and then by E indies last week that is a great fightback.

No reason to panic but a reminder that in these games nothing can be taken for granted.
Looks like everyone going to open up with spin against England, and why not.

Pitches being prepped/monitored by the ICC is giving maybe a little more balance between bat/ball than?

Bruce

1 Like

Great to see the Bangladesh team run the Kiwis close yesterday, the latter at one stage trying to outdo each other with silly runs. If only the Bangladesh WK hadn’t fluffed a clear run-out of Williamson relatively early doors, the game could so easily have gone the other way.

Afghanistan also pushed Sri Lanka.

The pitches are certainly offering something for the bowlers, even if it’s just some variable speed and bounce, albeit it seems some sides still haven’t worked out they’re playing a 50-over ODI and not a 20/25 over game. If the pitches continue like this, I’m favouring India for the tournament given their ability to play spin and also deliver it.

Intriguing game today of WI v Aussies - I’m wondering which WI team (so to speak) will turn up.

4 Likes

Yes, looking forward to tonight’s game, I’ll be rugged up by the fire watching to wee small hours :grin:

1 Like

Well I was looking forward to a close game, I’m also happy to see WI do well just wish it was against someone else, :flushed:

Might not be that late of a night after all.

1 Like

As a typically negative England supporter I think W Indies are actually a good bet for the tournament

2 Likes

Think you might be right. And to be honest I wouldn’t be totally unhappy. They’re been in the wilderness for years and it’d be good for cricket. :+1:

2 Likes

Agree. The crowds on the recent tour for the Tests especially were tiny. It would be great to see a resurgence of interest there.

2 Likes

I’m pretty happy with that, to recover from 5/79 and end up with 280+ is a good effort. Up to the bowlers now, should be a good 2nd innings.

There goes any chance of sleep tonight. :sleeping:

1 Like

Great match to watch today as was New Zealand match yesterday and Sri Lankan one day before. It is a great tournament because the matches are mostly close. I changed my mind as to who would win today every few overs.

Also I like the sportsmanship shown and the general good feeling between supporters.

Sure we make a bit of a mess of our politics, but when it comes to putting on sporting events we’re not too bad at all.

6 Likes

Good to see England back on form yesterday with a win over Bangladesh. Bangladesh are a very good side and this looked like a potential banana skin game for England.

Battle of 2 heavyweights today with India v Aussies on a used track at The Oval. It’s great to see this as a ‘group game’ rather than having to wait until a semi-final.

Another sleepless night for @Pete_the_painter?

3 Likes