Cricket World Cup

Yes it will be, was last night as well watching the tennis. Good thing it’s a public holiday tomorrow. :scream:

And the Matilda’s have their first game in France (WWC). I’ll never get any sleep at this rate :sleeping:

2 Likes

I saw a TV piece on Barty a year or so ago. I think it was focused on her cricketing exploits and how she had temporarily switched her gaze away from competition tennis. She came across as a very natural athlete/talent. You may need more public holidays when Wimbledon is on!

Seeing progress to date at The Oval, it could be a very late one.

1 Like

She also comes across as someone who’s very level headed not like the idiot male players that I’m embarrassed to call Australian at present (Tomic, Kyrgios and co - spoilt brats).

India is looking good, unfortunately :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Considering all things keeping India under 360 was a win (kind of). It’s game on I’d say. :grin:

And a long night at home.

Superb win against Bangladesh with Roy, Buttler & Archer outstanding.
Impressed with Shakib‘s innings too.
Wouldn’t surprise if Bangladesh turned over one of the favourites.

New Zealand going very well with 3 wins

Great game today - they keep on coming.
Finch did not look very happy with Warner though.
Looks like another close match

2 Likes

Hope so - it is great to see matches going to the wire.

Running out the skipper is never a good idea, especially when you’re struggling for form yourself. India, unlike the Aussies, seemed to work out that there was enough variation and lack of pace in the wicket that if you bowled normal line and length (by and large) scoring would be challenging. I suspect Lyon will play the next game as Zampa bowled another load of costly fruit salad. Anyway, the boys got relatively close - they just need a faster start and anchor around Smith.

I listened to the India v Aus game on BBC’s radio broadcast. India seem a very good side, calm under pressure, and with big support in the crowd. It wouldn’t surprise me if they win the tournament.

1 Like

‘Wouldn’t surprise if Bangladesh turned over one of the favourites.’

I’m hoping they will as England may well need a tad of help at some stage. Fair to say NZ’s tournament starts from this point onwards with India on Thursday - hopefully after the variable weather has passed through.

2 Likes

Yes totally out played, bowling (which is normally a our strength) let us down. Hopefully we’ve got our bad game out of the way. India did look the goods though.

Thought the Indian commentators idea that the bails should be removed (not required now apparently) after Warner hit his wicket and didn’t dislodge them a bit of a hoot.

1 Like

Some good games over the weekend. India really strong as anticipated. I just love watching Bumrah bowl but they have a pretty balanced attack as well.

Australia maybe too dependent on too few class players? The bits and pieces bowlers in particular may be a weakness and if Smith/Warner don’t fire fully are there others to step up?

Really enjoying the tournament so far although no live coverage available to me. Some bad weather coming this week, I really hope none of the big issues are settled by D/L (or worse net run-rate) and summer returns soon.

India, Windies, Eng and NZ still my semi-final picks.

Bruce

(PS One interesting fact. The three fastest bowlers so far are all English; Stokes, Wood and Archer and the quickest delivery at 95mph was bowled by Mark Wood. Bring on the Ashes!)

1 Like

Yes the Ashes is the real game, looking forward to the tests. Re last nights game Aus still scored almost 330 batting second, on most grounds that would be a winning total. I haven’t given up hope, long way to go yet. :+1:

Sadly, SA v WI today is looking like a wash-out, with Bangladesh v Sri Lanka due tomorrow looking highly likely to be rain affected/rained off.

The toss in the Aussies v Pakistan match at Taunton on Wednesday looks an important one to win as this could see the tail-end of the wet weather.

Great to see the sea of blue support at The Oval yesterday for the Indian team. Not a bad start to their tournament when they get to face 2 of the fancied teams first up, with NZ next.

2 Likes

Well, the Aussies saw off Pakistan without too much ado yesterday, with Warner getting a ton and Smith, uncharacteristically, trying to have a dash post a strong top-order start, and only getting 10. Given all the wet weather in the UK, this was a good result for the Aussies points-wise.

I hope the India v NZ game today isn’t reduced to a quasi-T20 match but given the start is delayed and the weather outlook is for showery intervals, this could well be the case.

England v WI at The Hampshire Bowl (a.k.a. Ageas Bowl) scheduled for tomorrow is a big game for both teams and could be a strong indicator of who will get in to the final top 4. Let’s hope the weather clears up.

I was pleased to see that Holding had something to say abound poor umpiring. Apparently the ICC says commentators have a “duty not to judge or highlight mistakes”.

Sure this is wrong?

Well I’m glad I logged in, arrived in London this morning and been out at the Tate to see the Van Gough’s all day. Thanks for news I didn’t bother looking to see if the Australia won as there’s so much rain I here I thought they’d be washed out.

1 Like

Very good match - could have gone either way
Australia got and deserved their win, but it was a tough match.
I think fielding decided it in the end.

Think that those who have the WI’s in their finals selection may have to rethink their choice. Pretty lacklustre performance by WI and a good win to the home side.

I’ll say in again it’s England’s cup to lose.

1 Like

Sounds like a pretty routine win but 2 possibly significant injuries to Morgan and Roy respectively though? Buttler had an issue last match too.

India team to beat as much as anyone. Windies probably hating the cold weather. Australia coming up on the rails??

I am going to be in the crowd on Weds and an honorary Kiwi when they play S Africa at Edgbaston. Be nice if S Africa can summon a performance to make a good game.

2 Likes