Cricket World Cup

Good steady win against the Windies.
It was the England pace that did for them. But cannot but mention the outstanding all round performance from Joe Root, going in as stand-in opener he hit a classy 100 & the cherry on his cake was taking 2 wickets when usually he took both Hetmyer & Holder c & b - looks nice, one after the other, on the score card

1 Like

Brilliant day at Hampshire Bowl and what a fantastic performance by Joe Root - his innings was as good as gets in ODI cricket.

West Indies are a good strong side, but England outplayed them today.

I think Roy and Morgan may miss the next game, but the strength in depth is there.
Buttler looked fine today.

2 Likes

Thanks to IPL. :grinning:

Agree…

May the tribe of free spirits live on…

It is because of non confirmists that the world is much more interesting…

All the boys and girls in school full obedient would be so boring…

Here’s to the different ones and to those who speak up…

:beer:

Regards

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to locate MH’s comments on-line - he is commentator who doesn’t avoid/skirt issues in the cricketing domain, which is refreshing (and he’s often on-point and his views have merit IMO). Re the umpiring, IIRC one newspaper journo post a game expressed the view that the 2 ump’s involved shouldn’t stand for the rest of the competition, such was their poor performance. Let’s not forget the uncalled no-balls in previous Tests and ODI’s in the UK which TV has featured, potentially as a game deciding matter (free hits et al). I’m wondering if the 3rd umpire is also policing these in this WC as some of the calls have been made late and many of the ump’s stand so far back from the stumps that detecting these must be challenging. The main area of variable performance appears to surround LBW decisions - witness Wood’s review case yesterday to a ball hitting middle/leg, where the batsman was on/behind his crease and was originally given not-out. Contrast this to Gayle’s a few days earlier, where he was given out to a ball which was clearly missing leg stump by some margin (you could almost see all his stumps!). In both cases, the review system was effective in securing the correct decision but it really shouldn’t have been required in these instances.

I can understand the ICC’s wishes not to see umpiring matters openly debated/micro-critiqued by TV, as this could give rise to a very slippery slope of issues (football anyone, even tennis!), which would not be in line with the culture of the game and the on-pitch authority of the umpires. I think I’m right in saying the ICC have performance measures for their umpires (e.g. level of reviews and overturned decisions). Rugby union operates to a similar culture/system and in both sports there has always been the acceptance of a rub of the green with marginal decisions (bats still get thrown!). I would much rather the policing and any actions be taken in the background, rather than being subject to public debate and potential ridicule. This said, the ICC must accept the subject matter will need to be vented every now and again in a respectful manner, where it’s clear things are not as they should be - and, I imagine, this was where MH was coming from.

I don’t think you can sell yourself to the devil that is TV and all its tools of analysis and not expect the odd scorch mark every now and again.

1 Like

I found the comments in the Guardian. I agree MH is well respected, which is why I mentioned it. It’s an interesting subject for discussion.
I take your points about culture in rugby and cricket, but I would argue that because modern technology reveals so much more, as your examples show, there needs to be a revised code. Therefore, if a viewer can see a poor decision I expect commentators to mention, otherwise a different submissive culture evolves.
Again recently the Guardian quoted concern about players, at all levels of the game, showing decent, with both rugby and cricket authorities urged to warn their players to curb their enthusiasm. Now this may be evidence of the football and tennis disease spreading into other sports, or you may argue that it’s an inevitable result of professionalism and allowing players to ply their trade in all circumstance.
I would welcome more transparency in cricket from the powers that be; the Smith and Warner debacle was a start (as was the Hales and Stokes affair) but even then the Australian authorities did not reveal the whole story. Again professionalism may argue that details should be kept private, but I would see full transparency where ever possible - again because the viewing public can see the incident and, in my view, has the right to know the details of the outcomes.

I don’t get your point there’s good calls and there’s bad calls. In other words you win some and you lose some, it’s always been the nature of sport. It’s easy for us sitting here watching on tv with replays, slow motion etc, but the empires don’t have the same luxury. As for the Australian authorities not revealing all, what else was there to reveal, they cheated got caught and were punished. They weren’t the first and unfortunately they won’t be the last.

At this moment, I think via the review system and the big screens at the games, errors are self-evident, don’t need labouring and technology has assisted cricket greatly and has, to my eyes, eradicated the majority of ‘shockers’. Where the line has to stop though is when things start to get personal - and that often comes with trial by (social) media, with today’s social media feeds often being outside the effective reach of legal address re defamation. I trust the ICC to deal with any shortcomings, in the same way that Cricket Australia handled the S,W & B offences. Re the latter, perhaps there was more to be said (e.g. about wider team involvement) but that could open a rats’ nest of legal issues and the need for concrete proof - and when/if lawyers get involved, any puddles are likely to get muddier.

I’m OK with where we are in cricket - yes, some umpiring could be better but that’s a minor grouse set against the much bigger picture.

I’m also OK with how Cricket Australia managed the Smith, Warner & Bancroft matters. They openly admitted the culture in the team wasn’t right, and heads rolled - not just the players.

2 Likes

Thank you. :+1:t2:

I thought MH’s comments understandable, but unnecessary. I think Michael would say the same on reflection.

If you’ll forgive the diversion, the manager of the football team I support, went crazy at a referee when our opponents scored from a corner that should not have been. Football commentators (BBC MOTD a programme I detest) would no doubt have justified our manager’s rant. But I could not: simply defend the corner was my attitude. I don’t like to think this trait will creep in to cricket.

Michael was upset that Chris Gayle was dismissed from a ball that should have been a free hit. But Chris, a brilliant player and entertainer, need not have played that shot. Australia have had a bad decision today, but Michael Clarke simply commentated that Australia would have got the decision if it had not wasted its review.

I’ve umpired and refereed and I’m sure made atrocious decisions, but my aim was always to get it right. Even watching TV, I think that’s out only to be proved wrong by DRS. So I have sympathy with those out in the middle.

Perhaps we need some technology that auto-calls for overstepping.

Of course, Michael Holding is a passionate West Indian and a very good commentator. So I think this incident will be quickly and rightly forgotten.

2 Likes

Good win by the Aussies, bowling is still a bit of a worry which is odd as 2 Aussies bowlers sit on top of the wicket takers. It’s the fifth bowler that I think is a concern.

However I did like the way they never panicked.

Think the top 4 are going to be England, NZ, India and the Aussies. This may surprise most but I’m hoping the Kiwis win. I like the way they go about their cricket, quietly and confident.

3 Likes

Think you are right. It may not surprise you I want England to win :grinning:

Finch was superb today, but I honestly thought Sri Lanka would win when the opening partnership was in full flight. But during overs 30-40 Aussies took total control and from then it was never in doubt.

Good game to watch albeit on TV today

1 Like

This is true, but when an umpire or referee continues to make mistakes it should be highlighted; this a professional era not an amateur one. There may be an internal review system, the captain, match referee, whoever reviews decisions feedback to the panel who oversees the officials. But I would like to see public accountability in sport; this simply good governance (and politics, business, charities etc.). Accountability should lead to better decisions, although it may have the opposite effect of relying on technology rather than good judgement. It is hard to get the balance, but once technology is introduced there is a need for a higher standard in decision.

I agree but I want to see standards improve - that’s the burden of technology. I’m not advocating punishment for mistakes, as is the case in football, as they say with rugby - consistency is what is required.

As an amateur sportsman, who had to blow the whistle or put on the white coat from time to time, I agree with you. But I expect a higher standard in the professional game - perhaps because of the technology…

1 Like

I’m watching the highlights of EvWI.
I listened to TMS yesterday and am treating myself. I am impressed by Root, not just his class (the cover drive pose), but how he adapted to opening.

Don’t get me wrong no one wants to see poor decisions. I just think sometimes we’re a little hard on the empires.

1 Like

I’d expect nothing less. Most English supporters have 2 teams theirs plus anyone playing Australia :grin:.

2 Likes

Maybe, but we like having an Aussie or two in our county sides.
Always great competitors as well as having the talent.
Did you see the Sri Lankan lad in the crowd waving his inflatable kangaroo?
I thought it was a great moment.

When it’s not England then I like games when I can’t tell who is going to win.
I’m delighted so many great countries are here playing cricket.
Australia are always most welcome.

1 Like

What a game in prospect … Ind v Pak

1 Like