Cricket

True. Like “rabbits in the headlights”.

1 Like

You cannot help but think that if this were a club game, some players wouldn’t be making eye contact with the skipper back in the pavilion, not that the latter has much to be proud of per their (almost) X-bat drive to nowhere.

I wouldn’t worry too much about any form in a 50 over game these days from what I’m reading here it’s the format most likely to disappear. Apparently neither players or fans are that interested. If I had to pick a format to lose I guess I’d rather it be One Day games than test matches.

Hail the new king, 20/20.

1 Like

Appears the same here, as The 100 competition (plonked in cricket season ‘prime time’ here), has meant things like the county 50-over competition and T20 Blast have been barged out of the way as, of course, has the longer form.

As the Sky commentators over here said, Test cricket is expensive to stage and there’s no point doing it if the games last <3 days but that’s what may increasingly start to happen (we’ve already seen it!) given the players’ focus on the shorter forms. And playing shorter forms doesn’t develop solid cricket technique, be it batting or bowling.

1 Like

Oh dear, South Africa even worse.

Glad I persevered

How they won , is a miracle

What a strange set of white ball matches we have seen so far from Eng/India/SA.

England look like they are playing a bit from memory (or past reputations) with the bat especially. Perhaps it is no surprise that some of the younger players (bowlers such as Topley) look hungrier and rather more engaged. Feels like the side needs a bit of a reset to me, in attitude as well as personnel. How odd it is that at this stage of the year we are talking about a resurgent England Test side, and uninspired white ball teams.

Bruce

2 Likes

I think there’s evidence to suggest that England’s Test team are now batting like the previous ODI team (pre 2022) and the 2022 ODI team is batting like a T20 side.

4 Likes

I was doubtful when it was announced but of all the limited overs formats I think the 100 is the most entertaining. Combining it with the woman’s game beforehand was an act of genius. Provides a better days entertainment than a 50 over game.
Just hope the test format survives as it has more substance and variety.

2 Likes

Question: when did sport become entertainment?

For rugby it came with professionalism, I think, but when was it for cricket? Perhaps with the introduction of T20?

I think sport primarily has to be competitive and if it is it will usually be entertaining.

1 Like

Blimey, you’re a tough crowd of one :grinning: You cannot surely be suggesting the likes of the great Welsh teams of the 1970s weren’t entertaining? …and what about that certain game in 1973.

Re the cricket, in my lifetime I would define the (my) ‘moment’ as being the WI’s 1976 tour of England, when Calypso cricket arrived (the steel drums), as did fast bowling which hadn’t been seen in England prior to.

Of course, the Test series in 1976 was barely competitive but watching IVA Richards bat was a thing of wonderment back then.

2 Likes

Those glorious amateur days … I recall discussions in our household about ‘money in boots’. My paternal grandfather had a rugby scholarship to Oxford and was very opinionated about shamateurism. It many ways the system was elitist, even in Wales, as my grandfather was a public school boy. But it was exciting rugby.

It was exciting rugby back then, where 3/4’s could win a game on their own, albeit the forwards ‘stick it up the jumper’ approach seemed the primary way in England (IIRC). Re the ‘boot money’ aspect, one mustn’t overlook that ‘back then’ (seems eons now!), many larger employers would effectively sponsor players through their jobs and time off. And if you got recruited by the likes of 'Quins, a job in The City beckoned (well, on paper).

I know many, me included, think that today’s professional rugby construct at international level, is eating itself, with so little ‘ball in play’ time, constant breaks et al.

Anyway, back to cricket and today’s ODI, it seems we may get a decent run-chase game if the start is an indicator!

1 Like

I believe Joss Buttler has now lost the toss six times in a row. Statistically difficult I would imagine. He’s clearly a useless tosser.

5 Likes

1445 not looking good weather wise here

1 Like

Carnage in the Eng v SA T20 just now. SA not helping their cause. Ali fastest 50 ever for Eng, and 33 off one over also an Eng record.

One odd moment. SA bowler delivers a no-ball so next delivery is a free hit. That delivery is a leg side wide. That obviously will cost one run and an extra ball but would you rather that than deliver a ‘hittable’ legitimate delivery on a free hit?

Bruce

1 Like

According to the BBC it is now 8 in a row. Can someone work out the odds?

EDIT. I think it is 0.391% or 1 in 256.

1 Like

I wondered about that too, as there was no signal from the ump (vis replaying the ‘free hit’), not that it mattered.

I just wish they’d play some of these games on fuller-sized grounds, as the clearing of the boundary from under-hit balls is getting a bit daft IMHO. It’s like some of the IPL/sub-continent games…not that it would have mattered much last night in some cases :slight_smile:

At least they didn’t have to change the ball due to softness – those Kookaburras must have rock hard cores, which is another reason why they get hit so far.

…and hard to catch too!

Only for those in green & gold it seems. I’m not sure where the term ‘goober’ (correct spelling?) originates from but perhaps ‘dolly’ is no longer considered appropriate?

Jordan’s excellent catch, as was Roy’s, show what can be done.

1 Like