Cricket

Hope it’s not an omen for bledisloe ha

I’m hoping it is

Off topic thread

My prediction - Wallabies will win in Melbourne because they want it more coming off a loss , ABs will be flat

ABs to win in Auckland with a smashing

Probably totally wrong :rage:

Are you still there crispy? If so I hope the champagne is going down well.

Still here Eoin - champagne still going down but no cricket as yet :drooling_face:

1 Like

Sorry you didn’t get to see any cricket, but you’ll have had a nice time with your mates. Did you buy the fizz at the ground? Last time I was at the Oval you couldn’t take your own in.

2 Likes

No play tomorrow as a mark of respect.

2 Likes

Cricket

The ECB announced that Friday’s play between England and South Africa in the Test match at The Oval, along with all scheduled matches in the Rachel Heyhoe Flint Trophy, will not take place. “For fixtures beyond Friday, updates will be provided in due course,”

1 Like

The Teat will start tomorrow, no news as I type whether it’s day 3 of a 5 day Test or whether they’ll extend by a day. I believe that SA were planning to fly back Tuesday.

1 Like

Yes - we had to buy fizz there at extortionate prices!

Apparently the test will be played over three days. The South African team are flying home on Tuesday so that they can spend time with their families before going off on tour to India and Australia. The follow-on will be reduced to 150 runs. It’s a real shame that the South Africans couldn’t be persuaded to give up a day.
Mind you on recent experience three days might be enough to get a result.

Forecast is ok ish.

Interesting snippet: during the Queen’s reign 86% of all test matches have been played. What proliferation!

3 Likes

Think he decided to walk before he was pushed, he’s been completely out of form in the few ODIs this season.

1 Like

Not quite sure what to say about the first-of-three days at The Oval. Apart from showing how sporting crowds can both honour and celebrate the loss of the Queen responsibly (football take note) it seemed like fine bowling by England with SA less consistent and more wickets given to them than taken perhaps. Crawley predictably, and sadly Stokes too. What on earth is he playing at this summer? He has the ability to score quickly but also a fine defensive technique so why play like it is a three over charity thrash? It is just not smart. I can just about cope with Broad batting like that but Stokes is capable of so much better

Anyway, credit to the craft of Robinson, an astonishing catch in the slips by Petersen and let’s hope the weather allows a good day today

Bruce

5 Likes

I wonder if the events if the day got to Stokes? Aggers was very unhappy with England’s approach – and (perhaps?) thinking England can win with a 2nd innings’ chase ignores the realities of how the team often bats.

I think Broad in his post-day I/V said England were looking to get a result from the shortened match, of course the word ‘result’ being double-edged.

1 Like

Aussies win the 3rd ODI against NZ to make it 3 from 3. Finch goes out on a high, Black Caps look out of form.

Good thing SA didn’t change their flights.

3 Likes

Don’t need to worry about the survival of a 5 day test, they don’t seem to exist anyway.

1 Like

A remarkable Summer of English test cricket will conclude in the morning.

1 Like