Crisis of confidence...am I alone?

What does he know. You have been pleased with the sound so far. Let them bed in and keep enjoying the process.

2 Likes

Horses for courses Pete - don’t worry about the comment :+1:

2 Likes

Doubtful. A great pairing.

1 Like

I did thank you Colin. Was in the middle of a deathcore session. Quite the antidote.

1 Like

If I was closer, I’d pop round for a second opinion.

1 Like

And you’d be more than welcome.

2 Likes

30 hrs is nothing…… those speakers need a hell of a lot of time
The funny thing I have always found is if the speakers were shipped by “ Air “ vs “Sea” the run in time is even longer
Why this is I have no idea and I’ve even mentioned it to Bob at Neat and he had no idea as to why this is.
I’ve even compared brand new out of the box Neats that arrived by air vs sea same model and the different was astonishing.
In the end the 2 pairs sounded the same but it took a very long time and I lost count of the hrs it took.

4 Likes

If they were sent by air, it’s likely they spent some time in very low temperatures at 30,000 feet. Extremes like that might take a toll on drivers, rubber surrounds, tightness of screws, and so on, though I’d be surprised if a little pre-installation tlc wouldn’t put it right.

1 Like

As said, 30 hours is nothing. You need a 0 more at least.

It took my Vivids about a month to get close to their best with the ups & downs flattening out. Playing 8-10 hours a day, mostly i-radio in the background.

1 Like

@NigelB - blimey! this thread is putting me off hifi!

2 Likes

My speakers took nearly 300 hours to come on song…

Is it the speakers that need that long, or is it your ears/ brain that needs the time to get used to them? Ultimately the same end result I guess.

1 Like

At least your 505’s never saw the inside of an aircraft!

2 Likes

Pete – as others have said, hang in there. I remember my brand new Neat Motive 2s sounding very different to the ones I demoed and needed about 100 or so hours before the bass drivers loosened up and they started to boogie. Other speakers I’ve had since then have not had such marked differences.
Saying that, my Titans seem to like a few days for the cabinet outer panels (which are attached to the inner cabinet by compliant pads) to relax again after being moved - the Orkestra uses a similar compliant arrangement (albeit a membrane rather than pads) to mount the front driver baffle to the cabinet.

I’m not that worried as I think they’re great and as others have said they’ll only get better. My post was more about how a third party can easily rain on your parade and have you questioning your choices.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.