Culinary abominations and corporate product weirdness

Many supermarkets are closing down open meat, fish and cheese counters due to lack of customer demand. I’m guessing that’s because of the cost of living crisis. Folk who just cant afford to nip into the local butchers for that evenings meal may well do a large once a week/fortnight supermarket shop looking for deals.
Meaning pre vac packed items that have a longer chilled shelf life in the fridge will appeal more.

Perhaps, but I looked at some vacuum packed mince again in Sainsbury’s tonight and just thought it looked awful. I don’t have an issue with whole meat products being packaged to prolong best by dates but mince just seems to get compressed. Maybe I should try a different brand.

1 Like

The thread is a bit limited currently - mince and over-perfumed cleaning products.

I was expecting an avalanche of weird products along the lines of deep fried Mars bars!

OK, on a different tack, anything the Mondelez has introduced into the once wonderful brand that was was Cadbury. Although my favourites were always Crunchie and the long gone Sandwich bars that were actually Fry’s.

1 Like

My mother worked at Fry’s Somerdale for several years. They had a staff shop which sold virtually the full range of Cadbury/Fry products.

They used to sell what was termed as waste products these were bars of chocolate that were cosmetically imperfect they wouldn’t be in the original type wrapping but sold loose in sealed paper bags probably 12 in a bag still remember opening a pack of the Crunchy or Cream bars.

3 Likes

Getting hold of or knowing someone with the discount card was a real bonus. My dad worked on PO Telephones maintenance control, so had a list of friendly switchboard operators, limited to one shop a month, but if helped to stretch the pocket money.

Here I am separating the tough woody stalks from a pre cut pack of kale.

I would just wish they packed them whole so I can slice them myself.
Anyone else wasted 45 minutes ??

3 Likes

Well I always have a chat with the Waitrose delivery guy.

I detest pre-cut kale - like you I prefer it whole, and it seems to last so much longer that way.

Actually found some whole leaves kale in one of the supermarkets some months ago - trying to remember which!

1 Like

Nope! We used to grow kale to feed to our sheep. The advantage there was that not only did they eat the stalks, but they ate the whole plants, leaving us humans free to grow and eat potatoes, cabbages, lamb chops, and other such items that were actually nice to eat!

7 Likes

Ha ha, I feel the same tried it several times and while I didn’t hate it I certainly don’t love it.

1 Like

Yesterday, at my local, the horrors of1980’s returned: cheese and pineapple on sticks and short lengths of celery filled with peanut butter. Both were stuck into foil covered potatoes.

I don’t know if the manager was playing a cruel joke, or the intention of the owner was take us punters back to the good old days? Sadly, people just picked off the cheese and left the pineapple behind. What a waste.

3 Likes

The reason those thing were popular , like Black Forest Gateau and Prawn Cocktail was that they actually were very enjoyable , they just went out of fashion

8 Likes

Ah … … … prawn cocktail and Black Forest Gateau … … … Berni Inns … … … fine dining at its best.

Well, it was, until “eating out” became a mainstream activity.

Happy days.

8 Likes

A straw poll yesterday would disagree. They were of a different time and culture: not to be repeated. Nostalgic - perhaps, but a cultural icon to be resurrected.

BFG is still being sold and served today. It’s not my choice as I prefer summat with custard.

1 Like

Yes , but a long time ago the 1970s and 80s , a night out at a Berni, Harvester or Beefeater was a treat to many .

I think Tom Kerridge was praising them

I will confess that a few years ago , I served prawn cocktail on Christmas Day as a starter

1 Like

I love that, fruit juice served as an option for a starter. I think prawn cocktail is back in the ascendancy. Perhaps nearing a peak and on its way down again in due course.

To stew a coot - place the bird in a kettle of water with a red building-brick free of mortar and blemishes. Parboil the coot and the brick together for three hours. Pour off the water, refill the kettle, and again parboil for three hours.

For the third time throw off the water, for the last time add fresh water, and let the coot and the brick simmer together overnight. In the morning throw away the coot and eat the brick.

Passed on to me by my father - in relation to a pike I’d just caught on Loch Mask.

5 Likes

That was another treat in the 80’s: all you can eat Sunday lunches. My father was a great fan. For me they reappeared in various capital cities in Eastern Europe - a magnet for long suffering ex pats.

I recall a chef telling me that they were a quick way of getting rid of food that was at the end of its shelf life.

2 Likes